Espresso Choc stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king of the north

Reaction score
Hi guys. new to the forum. I up to my 15th or so brew and just starting doing some partial grain brews and loving it. I'm attempting to do a Choc Espresso stout but I'm not sure how much or how to attempt the coffee part. i was told by 1 fella to steep the grains with fresh ground coffee but he wasn't sure how much. anyone out there tried or know of how much coffee to add and how to do it?
my ingredients list as the following;

1 can of black rock imperial stout extract,
1 can of cbw dark malt extract,
500g dry dark malt extract improver,
500g choc malt grain
25g goldings
25g willamette
us04

cheers.

Hey mate,
Try a bit of Roast Barley in there...gives a coffee-like taste.

Google-fu tells me 1oz per gallon.... So around 5g per liter?

Got a dry stout in hand at the moment...brewed with Roast Barley as 10% of the grain bill (~500g).
It's got a nice roasty coffee flavour, not too over the top.
Not sure how much would work in a kit recipe...i'd consider going 50/50 with the Choc and Roast Barley.

thanks guys. I heard about using roasted grains but i wouldn't mind actually using coffee beans. that other link shows some interesting ideas. the infusion with white liquor sounds like a good way to get the most out of the coffee beans. having said that i'm still unsure which route to take on this. hmm...

I have previously used 250g of freshly ground beans, steeped in cold water in a large coffee plunger (Schwartzbier, 20L batch size). I left it in the fridge overnight and added it directly to the keg after the beer had fermented.

Cold extraction leaves all of the coffee flavour and aroma behind; if you infuse with hot water, you lose all that coffee goodness!

I used 28g of cracked beans, steeped in vodka for 15 mins to sterilize, then threw them in a stout just before yeast. Unfortunately, I think I killed my stout. It also had 200g choc malt (coffee essence behind it) and 200g roast barley (yum) but stinks of coffee. Mind you, it's been in the bottle for two weeks now but I'll leave it for another couple of months before sampling in the hope it may turn the corner - or I'll try it once every six months until they're gone.

i put 90g ground coffee in my sweet stout,,,,put in a hop bag and put in fermenter for for 24hours,,,,,,,put some coco powder in(boiled some water and mixed in then dumped into fermenter) added some chocolate extract as well,,,,,,,taste pretty dam good and i dont even drink coffee

Latest posts

Back