Esb Winter Brew Comp 2009 - Ales From The British Isles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped an entry off at Absolute Homebrew (ST Marys)
a couple of weeks ago.

Regards

Graeme

Bump

Last chance saloon - entries need to be in at The Brew Shop by 16:00 today Saturday 25 July

P1

So judging was today, how was it? Did anyone attend?
I was going to put my hand up as a helper but this was my weekend on at work :angry:

Was a well run event with some 80+ entries, lots of well brewed beers and some outstanding ones, thanks to Peter for hosting and Barry as my pilot and I his co- pilot

any rough idea when we can expect results sheets?

I think Peter said something about October. :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Actually though I'm not privy to any inside info I think it'll be pretty fast. A very well organised comp and a pleasure to judge at. Great work Peter and all those who made it all happen so smoothly. :super:

Thanks to the brewers who entered the 2009 ESB Winter Brew Competition with 87 entries including some from Qld, it was a big day yesterday held in bright sunny conditions.

Big ups to the Judges - Barry, Mike, Joe, Stuart, Grant, Trev, Richard (Chef extrordinaire) , Peter W, Maurice and Stewards - Christian, Geoff and Robert.

The standard of entries was generally very good - see attached for the placings.

If you didn't place your feedback sheets will be in the post Monday.

If you did achieve 1st, 2nd or 3rd then we need to get the Certificates printed and the prizes sorted out - so you should get yours (in the nicest possible way) in about 2 weeks.

For those ESB winners presentation night is the last Friday of the Month usual venue.

Extra Special Brewers also thank our sponsors for their kind support.

Cheers
Peter

View attachment 2009_ESB_Winter_Brew_Competition_Results.pdf

090801_ESB_Winter_Brew_Comp_Team.JPG

Thanks Korev and ESB for another well run comp, more than happy with my results and I will be especially looking forward to my RIS feedback.
Congratulations to all the winners and well done to you Barry, a very good result.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew
Your RIS was the talk of the comp, it was all gone before I got anywhere near it. It is always nice to get thanks for judging beer on a beautiful blue sky winter's day, laughing and talking with fellow brewers and having a great BBQ lunch. It is a hard job but someone has to do it. Special thanks to Korev and his son Rob who still had all the dirty glasses etc and the results to do at the end of the day. Good to receive a few entries from the sunshine state.
All the best, Barry.

Wow, that was very fast feedback. Thanks to the judges and the organisers and congratulations to the winners. Well done Andrew on your highest scoring beer, it must be good, a real session beer I bet :p . I have to say I am extremely happy with my 3rd for my Foreign Extra Stout being my first comp! Cant wait for the feedback.

Cheers

Thanks for running the comp guys. Looking forward to getting my feedback and improving my beers.

Yep, great stuff guys. Great to get fast results like that.
Thanks to the judges, and I'm stoked to get a 3rd place with the oatmeal stout seeing as though it went from grain to being entered on the Saturday within 6 days. (Even though it seems there was only 3 entries as there was no HM in this category, is that the case??). I'll still call it 3rd and not last! :ph34r:
Even still I'm happy with the score. Really looking forward to the feedback as it's my first comp.

Mick.

Yep, great stuff guys. Great to get fast results like that.
Thanks to the judges, and I'm stoked to get a 3rd place with the oatmeal stout seeing as though it went from grain to being entered on the Saturday within 6 days. (Even though it seems there was only 3 entries as there was no HM in this category, is that the case??). I'll still call it 3rd and not last! :ph34r:
Even still I'm happy with the score. Really looking forward to the feedback as it's my first comp.

Mick.
Looks like there was at least 4 Stouts... mine mustn't have been worthy of an HM :unsure:

There was quite a few stouts in that class. (including two of mind but I am not resentful) :icon_drunk:

Cheers to the organisers, stewards and judges for bringing this together.
I am absolutely chuffed with the result of my mild as it is my first comp and I accidentally overcarbed the beer. If I am able, I will try to lend a hand in the future.

Cheers fellas.
:beer:

Thanks Andrew
Your RIS was the talk of the comp, it was all gone before I got anywhere near it. .....
All the best, Barry.

Barry,
I'm not sure about this. We only got served up a small portion, suggesting 2 small bottles entered.
If that's the case, P1's holding out. I can just see the bugger sitting up in bed, sipping on it.
If not, lets see if we can convince him to bring it to the next meet (presentation night).
How's that about Christian? The dark horse. And he wants a mash demo! Tell him it'll cost him some Irish Red & Best Bitter :)

Andrew,
When korev said he had some Qld entries I wondered if they were yours & if you had sent the RIS down.
I thought it lacked some complexity & could do with a bit more roast barley. The other 2 judges disagreed and marked you accordingly. Good to see I didn't drag you down too much :)
Given the earlier uncertainty about it carbonating, you must be very happy now. A dangerously drinkable beer and a lovely way to finish the day. Thanks.

All,
Missing from the group photo was committee member, Deale Stanley-Hunt. Deale was responsible for marketing/ gathering sponsorship, but sadly could not make it on the day.

The Committee:
Peter Symons (korev)
yours truly
Barry Cranston
Deale Stanley-Hunt

PW

Cool, my sweet stout got a very close second behind you Peter.

Very happy I was up there.
:icon_cheers:

Thanks to all involved
Josh

What RIS?? All bottles "recycled" yesterday!!!

MCT - The criteria for a HM was a 30 point plus beer there were a lot of other entries.

Thanks P3 - big ups to Deale as he has played a huge part in the competition preparation organising sponsorship and prizes but was unable to attend the judging day

P1

PS All judging and stewarding points sent off to BJCP

Wow, got my results yesterday, mostly as I suspected, thanks to the constructive comments from judges, and yes Barry that was my revolting phenolic beer, we never did get to the bottom of what went wrong there, however said beer is now disposed of, flushed the entire keg down the drain, will be brewing again this weekend using all knowledge I gained from judging these types of beers.

Back