Esb Too Sweet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My most recent version of my house ESB came out a bit too sweet & full bodied for my liking.

The differences from previous versions are as follows:

1) Mashed at 67 degrees rather than usual 65.5 degrees.
2) Added 4.5% caraaroma instead of usual 3.5%.
3) Ringwood Ale yeast attenuation turned out around 68% instead of usual 71% (I was away, and so couldn't rouse it often, so I assume it flocced out early).

Wondering where the additional sweetness & body has come from. Perhaps all three points above have contributed to it.

Thoughs & suggestions most welcome.

OG and FG?

IBU?

Higher mash temp would definitely contribute, as would the lower attenuating yeast. I dont imagine the small increase in the cararoma would have a great effect. I'd say mainly your mash temp, then a little yeast and then a very very small amount from the cararoma.

Literally every one of those elements will have added sweetness. It's almost like you intentionally wanted to make it sweeter.

Current version:
OG 1.050
FG 1.017
IBU 32.6

Previous version:
OG 1.049
FG 1.018
IBU 32.7

Seems like all of those things would contribute to extra sweetness and body, Brando.

1) Higher mash temps would probably have extracted more dextrins/unfermentable sugars giving the beer more body

2) Caraaroma would also contribute to residual unfermentable sugars.

3)And that pretty much says it all.

What was your OG and FG for the beer, compared to your normal version?

To balance out the extra sweetness, you might want to consider raising the bitterness for future batches...if you stick to this new recipe.
As for body, well the higher mash temp probably contributed to it, so dropping it back down will help thin it out a bit.

Hi Guys,

My most recent version of my house ESB came out a bit too sweet & full bodied for my liking.

The differences from previous versions are as follows:

1) Mashed at 67 degrees rather than usual 65.5 degrees.
2) Added 4.5% caraaroma instead of usual 3.5%.
3) Ringwood Ale yeast attenuation turned out around 68% instead of usual 71% (I was away, and so couldn't rouse it often, so I assume it flocced out early).

Wondering where the additional sweetness & body has come from. Perhaps all three points above have contributed to it.

Thoughs & suggestions most welcome.

Regarding point 1 - would the higher mash temp have given me more unfermentable sugars (and hence more sweetness), but just as many fermentable sugars as if I had mashed at 65.5?

Regarding point 1 - would the higher mash temp have given me more unfermentable sugars (and hence more sweetness), but just as many fermentable sugars as if I had mashed at 65.5?
Not necessarily.
You might get the same OG from mashing the same grist at 2 different temps, but the lower temp is likely to attentuate more, ie has more fermentable sugars.

Not necessarily.
You might get the same OG from mashing the same grist at 2 different temps, but the lower temp is likely to attentuate more, ie has more fermentable sugars.

Thanks mate, that's good info.

Are you using the same batch of hops? If so, how old are they?

The %AA will drop over time, even if kept in the freezer, so your calculated 32.7 IBU could be somewhat less, leading to a lower BU:GU ratio. This will make it taste sweeter.

Hope I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs.

Are you using the same batch of hops? If so, how old are they?

The %AA will drop over time, even if kept in the freezer, so your calculated 32.7 IBU could be somewhat less, leading to a lower BU:GU ratio. This will make it taste sweeter.

Hope I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs.

Thanks mate - good advice.

Same batch of hops, and brews made within a couple of months of each other, so I'm guessing that hops age isn't a big factor in this instance.

Current version:
OG 1.050
FG 1.017
IBU 32.6

Previous version:
OG 1.049
FG 1.018
IBU 32.7

No massive differences but when combined with the higher mash temp and slight increase in crystal i can see how that might taste sweet(er).

You could try dry hopping it. I find dry hopping adds a resinous quality that can be perceived as extra bitterness.

And just a general comment, that IBU seems a tad low for an ESB. I know its within the range but i would have been aiming for 35 minimum in this style to balance the OG, let alone the higher FG you now have. A BU:GU of ~0.65 would in my mind lead to a malty sweet beer. I normally aim for 0.7 - 0.75

I've found ringwoods attenuation varies for gen to gen. First up out of the pack its in the mid to high 60s and once repitched a few times it can be low 70s (depending on mash temp of course).

Just my musings brando (I'm in BJCP study mode) so take them with a grain of salt! :icon_cheers:

No massive differences but when combined with the higher mash temp and slight increase in crystal i can see how that might taste sweet(er).

You could try dry hopping it. I find dry hopping adds a resinous quality that can be perceived as extra bitterness.

And just a general comment, that IBU seems a tad low for an ESB. I know its within the range but i would have been aiming for 35 minimum in this style to balance the OG, let alone the higher FG you now have. A BU:GU of ~0.65 would in my mind lead to a malty sweet beer. I normally aim for 0.7 - 0.75

I've found ringwoods attenuation varies for gen to gen. First up out of the pack its in the mid to high 60s and once repitched a few times it can be low 70s (depending on mash temp of course).

Just my musings brando (I'm in BJCP study mode) so take them with a grain of salt! :icon_cheers:

I agree Dr S regarding the IBU's being a tad low. The wife and father in law don't like "bitter beers", so I try to please them (too much).

Latest posts

Back