ESB recipe critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've come up with a fairly simple ESB recipe to have a crack at, hopefully this weekend. Any thoughts / advice on the recipe much appreciated. I'm pretty set on the base grain and yeast as that's all I really have. Only other English hops I have are is a bit of EKG. Also have some wheat as well.

Brookvale Bitter (Special/Best/Premium Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 7.9 (EBC): 15.6
Bitterness (IBU): 34.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

95.56% Maris Otter Malt
4.44% Caramunich I

0.5 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers,

mosto

Looks a lot like my last Bitter. The only thing I did majorly different was I used English Crystal malt and used half the amount. I used a different yeast as well but 1275 is popular and a lot of people have had a lot of success with it. It should be good, enjoy it.

Do you have any styrian goldings you could sub for the late fuggles? Otherwise yeah looks like a nice best bitter.

bradsbrew said:
Do you have any styrian goldings you could sub for the late fuggles? Otherwise yeah looks like a nice best bitter.
Nah, only EKG

mosto said:
Nah, only EKG
All fuggles would be too much for my tastes, I get "boiled peanuts"- earthy from fuggles. Subbing out the late edition with EKG would add a nice floral note.

Cheers

Agreed, replace late Fuggles with EKG.( OT: I even found my Magnum/Challenger/Fuggles bitter too fugglesy and will modify it to up the bittering Magnum and pairing Fuggles with a hint of NS.)

Just realised I've got less Fuggles than I thought, so will sub late additions with EKG. Thanks all for the help.

Nice one. Just to stop hating on fuggles though, it's a nice hop. Throw in some goldings or challenger with it and yum.

Given the OG it is a Best Bitter. ESB's have OG 1.050 to 1.060 going by the AABC. This will not affect its taste or your enjoyment of it.

Latest posts

Back