Esb Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I decided to grab a Pilsner Fresh Wort from the local brewshop yesterday, as I didn't have time to go to ESB. I had a bit of a chat to the owner, who asked me if I added the 5 litres of water, to which I said no, I've read that it produces a watery beer (fact, compliments of this forum). Well he almost fell over, telling me that the alcohol content would be 6-7%. I replied that with the 2 litre starter that I'll use, it'll be okay, with an OG of 1050, another stat I read on this site, he replied with what 2 litres???? :unsure:

I knew there was a reason I stopped going there. :eek:

Is it true that the Fresh Wort has a OG of approx 1050? I haven't done a hydrometer test yet. I have had two worts, Amber Ale and Irish Red finish at 1012. Is this too high or low? My calculations give me an alcohol content of 5.32%. Does this seem correct?

My keg fridge is finished. I'll add another tap around Christmas time. I'm looking forward to cracking my first keg on Father's Day.

Sorry about the long story.

Cheers,
Jase

I put down one of these pilsner kits a month ago, and decided to check the OG after comments on this forum.
Bang on 1050.

Just out of interest what was it Irish red like?
As we all like doing the mash type stuff it is good to get a quick kit style down once in a while and the irish red sounds good.
Is it anything like Kilkeny?

SJW,

I kegged the Irish Red today, had a mouthful before kegging, and considering the beer had just fermented and was warm, it tasted very good, can't wait to drink this one.

The taste was similar to Kilkenny, but too early to tell.

The Amber Ale I kegged last week probably tasted even better than the Irish Red.
I plan on tapping that keg on Father's Day.

Both brews were made with WLP013 London Yeast.

Cheers,
Jase

Jase,
How much extra water did u add?
As there is a lot of talk about these products being too weak at 20 or 23 litres.

SJW,

The only thing that I added to the 15 litre wort was a 1.5 litre starter. Nothing else add.

Jase

Hi
I have used a lot of Mel's wort kits as my every day drinking beer. I just top them up to 19 liters for kegging. At that volume you have a great beer of og 1.045 (about) from memory.
I bottle all my mash brews and the great thing about these worts is dumping them on a yeast cake after I have bottled one of my mash brews. The seasonal Belgian Ale was dumped on my Saison yeast, the next was an Irish red dumped on the same yeast and when that was kegged I dumped an American Pale ale.
All these beers were very good and I have fun an amazement on what changes these kits have when using different yeasts.
Mel has one customer that blends different wort kits and adds up to 3 diffent yeasts, I have tasted some of these and they were very good. He would decide what style the beer it was after fermentation. Funny hobby eh!
Cheers
Ray

Ray,

The 19 litres wasn't too watery?????

Jase

Jase said:
The 19 litres wasn't too watery?????
I have made a couple of the APA kits and I made them up to 19 litres. They tasted fine.

Latest posts

Back