Esb Fresh Wort Kits... And Cans.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw Scotty's post yesterday I was also just learning for the first time about Mel's illness and was quite distressed about it. So at first I was also a bit taken aback by Scotty's post and could understand some of the reactions. But rather than jump hastily to conclusions and slam him on-line (so easy to do when you are hiding behind an anonymous handle, huh!) I sought off-line clarification and my mind was put to rest. Sure, it doesn't look good, but if you go back to the start of the thread and read down, there is no mention of Mel's ill health in this thread prior to Scotty's post. It is about the loss of availability of ESB wort kits from the market. It can be very reasonably argued that Scotty, as a supplier of an alternative product, was simply making information available for the benefit of those concerned about this situation. Isn't that what other retailers do on a frequent basis on this board? Provide adverts that also happen to be in the interests of the broader membership? Could he have done it in a more sensitive manner? Probably, but I don't think the guy should be hung out to dry for something that is done every other day on these message boards by other retailers.

It is obvious that people's emotional reactions would be heightened by the circumstances, but I'm satisfied that Scotty's post was not what it has been construed to be and, frankly, the posters who are so prepared to make personal vindictive statements should have the guts to do so under their real names. I wonder, for example, what vested interests some of the slammers might have in impugning Scotty's character on this board? An anonymous poster whose one and only post on this site is a personal attack on Scotty, and who gives off a whiff of familiarity with Scotty while citing that "everybody knows everybody in this industry", certainly raises suspicions of not being completely free of a vested interest.

Hey all, My name is Bill and I own the Brew Shop at Peakhurst. New to this so go easy on me. Alot of people have contacted me regarding Mel's illness as I am very nearby to his store and we have referred customers to each other since I started here almost 2 years ago and are very good mates. I think alot of stories are out there regarding Mel's health and whats happening with ESB. At the moment I think we all just have to send him our well wishes in any form we can and wish him a speedy recovery and think of any ways we can support him and his family. There is no need for people attacking other people on this forum as thats not going to help Mel. I have spoken to Mel and he just needs a little time to get back on his feet. There is alot of emotion involved with this topic and cheap shots are not going to get contribute to a better discussion.

Thanks

Well said Bill. I think you can take it as a given that everybody who knows or has had anything to do with Mel wishes him and his family all the best.

I have it on good authority that Mel will recommence making the ESB 3kg cans very soon. This came direct from the horse's mouth. He did not mention the 1.7kg cans though.

To be fair from ///'s post it seems he is just letting people know there is an alternative for those concerned about a lack of fresh wort kits. It fits perfectly with the context of the thread-starting post.

Best wishes to Mel in his recovery.

the 3kg tins are already back in circulation. I bumped into Mel last week at Daves HBS at Nth Sydney. He had just dropped of a stack of 3kg tins and was looking 100%.
Cheers
Gerard

the 3kg tins are already back in circulation. I bumped into Mel last week at Daves HBS at Nth Sydney. He had just dropped of a stack of 3kg tins and was looking 100%.
Cheers
Gerard

Well that's definitely good news all round then!
Here's to many more fine brews! :beer:

Cheers
Gerard

Great news! good to see Mel is feeling better. :beerbang:

Cheers
Gerard

hi, the world would not be the same without the availability of the esb 3 kg cans.

cheers alan

I started my homebrewing lifestyle with the 3kg ESB pilsner cans. A fine drop indeed they are. I was hoping to purchase a fresh wort American Pale Ale kit from G &G the other day, then realised they weren't available. I am almost tempted to give a 3kg APA a go.

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back