Esb Bavarian Wheat - Lacking Flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah Steve, I didn't get it from Colin. I would have preferred to, but it was one of those on the way home from work type things and I live in Belco, so had to buy from that other HBS :huh:

I've read good things about this kit in other threads, so I hope the S-04 works ok with it :)

PZ.

Steve / Fingerlickin,

Crow here, the guy that started this thread back in Nov 2004.

Sounds like you've already gone the route with he non K-97 yeast, but here some feedback from someone who's made a half dozen of these brews in the mean time.

K-97 is good, best results when brewed at lower temps say 18-20 degrees, otherwise can get low on the cloes and high on the banana esters. As good as a schoefferhofer but not exceptional.

However, I later did a batch with Wyeast 3068. I got to say even though I didn't realise at first, this was my best ever batch (the difference only hit home when I saved some money and made another subsequent batch with the K-97). The step down in flavours and rounding etc etc from a 3068 batch to a K-97 batch was VERY noticeable.

My verdict on the ESB & 3068, supported by a bunch of Bavarian Expats and the occasional passing tourist from Germany is this is as good, probably even better, than the best of the comercial german hefeweizens. :)

Well, after finding it wasn't quite carbonated last night and ramping up the Co2 pressure for a few hours today I'm now drinking mine.

As stated in another thread, the K-97 did appear to fire and the S-04 no doubt did as well :lol:

Verdict: Good, but not in this weather...gotta' do it again next spring/summer and drink it then.

Now, where to find some Germans? :lol:

PZ.

crow said:
However, I later did a batch with Wyeast 3068. I got to say even though I didn't realise at first, this was my best ever batch (the difference only hit home when I saved some money and made another subsequent batch with the K-97). The step down in flavours and rounding etc etc from a 3068 batch to a K-97 batch was VERY noticeable.
My verdict on the ESB & 3068, supported by a bunch of Bavarian Expats and the occasional passing tourist from Germany is this is as good, probably even better, than the best of the comercial german hefeweizens. :)
[post="120755"][/post]​

Couldn't agree more.
take heed all you budding wheat freaks this is excellent advice from someone who's tried it.
Flick the K97(which is a mislabeled Kolsch strain) and invest in a Bonafide liquid strain and taste the difference. ;)

Well, it was a hit with my dad and a friend...the only people who got a chance to taste it aside from me...as it's now all gone.

5 days from tapped to tapped-out and I didn't even drink any of it on Friday, so that's really a 4 day keg life :lol:

PZ.

Well, since my last post in this thread earlier this year I have done two more of these kits.

The earlier of the two had all sorts of hop additions, honey etc...tasted like crap...really sour :(

So, I did a bone stock one recently with no additions whatsoever and it's really sour too :angry:

I don't recall the first one I did having this taste, so what could it be? :huh:

No, before you suggest infection I can say that's not the culprit unless the goo was already infected in the cans.
These were many brews apart and done in the same fermenter which churned out no sour beers in other batches fermented between the times I did these.
Exact same sour taste in only these two ESB kit brews.

PZ.

Fingerlickin,
Three questions:
What yeast did you use for these 2 latest Wheat brews?
What types of temps were you brewing at ?
And, what was the time lag between end of fermentation and drinking.

Many brews ago (about this time last year) I made a couple of these kits with K97 again and yes I though the early tasting samples were sour or otherwise off. Somewhat depressed I thought I'd give them a chance to improve, after 3months they were pretty darn good. Perhaps it just needs some time in the bottle ?

In any case all subsequent brews have been using Wyeast 3068. (the head is soooo much better)

Cheers,
Chris

Fingerlickin,
Three questions:
What yeast did you use for these 2 latest Wheat brews?
What types of temps were you brewing at ?
And, what was the time lag between end of fermentation and drinking.

Many brews ago (about this time last year) I made a couple of these kits with K97 again and yes I though the early tasting samples were sour or otherwise off. Somewhat depressed I thought I'd give them a chance to improve, after 3months they were pretty darn good. Perhaps it just needs some time in the bottle ?

In any case all subsequent brews have been using Wyeast 3068. (the head is soooo much better)

Cheers,
Chris

Every one of these has been done with K-97.

After reading your post just now I think the issue may be with the quick-drinking on the last two.

The first one would have been in the keg for at least three weeks before drinking, but the last two maybe a week or just under...having been told that wheat beers are best "young", this may have influenced things....that and running out of other beer.

I'll move this keg to the back of my rotation so it'll be maybe three weeks before it hits the freezer...see what happens I suppose.

I'll drink it anyway, as I am a cheapass and an alcoholic :lol:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back