Esb Bavarian Lager - Strange Smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
die sudhausanlage said:
Ive been making the 3kg ESB ranges for a long time now without a hitch. I believe the bavarian to be one of the best brew mel makes (no affiliation). I firmly believe if you use the white labs yeast as suggested you must, as jovial has stated, Lager it.

And this kit turns out impecably if you ferment at or around 10deg C.

[post="49914"][/post]​

I agree. Certainly the hop pellets create a few floaties, but they settle out. Maybe the "not quite right" smells people are reporting are a result of sub-optimal yeast and fermentation management more than something being not right with the kit. I did have one that a Japanese guy did that was cloudy. But it was also obviously oxidized, and when I quizzed him on his technique, he'd used a funnel to fill the bottles (amazing what knowledge you take for granted sometimes). Not sure if the poor technique was related to the cloudiness, but there was an association.

Anyway, I reckon if you follow good techniques and use an appropriate liquid yeast at the right pitching rate, it is very hard to go wrong with any of the ESB kits. Maybe using two packets of yeast with the lagers would be a good idea.

To sluggerdog, who asked about an appropriate hop for dry hopping the Bavarian lager, you will not go wrong with hallertau, spalt, or Mount Hood.

Steve

Steve Lacey said:
die sudhausanlage said:
Ive been making the 3kg ESB ranges for a long time now without a hitch. I believe the bavarian to be one of the best brew mel makes (no affiliation). I firmly believe if you use the white labs yeast as suggested you must, as jovial has stated, Lager it.

And this kit turns out impecably if you ferment at or around 10deg C.

[post="49914"][/post]​

I agree. Certainly the hop pellets create a few floaties, but they settle out. Maybe the "not quite right" smells people are reporting are a result of sub-optimal yeast and fermentation management more than something being not right with the kit. I did have one that a Japanese guy did that was cloudy. But it was also obviously oxidized, and when I quizzed him on his technique, he'd used a funnel to fill the bottles (amazing what knowledge you take for granted sometimes). Not sure if the poor technique was related to the cloudiness, but there was an association.

Anyway, I reckon if you follow good techniques and use an appropriate liquid yeast at the right pitching rate, it is very hard to go wrong with any of the ESB kits. Maybe using two packets of yeast with the lagers would be a good idea.

To sluggerdog, who asked about an appropriate hop for dry hopping the Bavarian lager, you will not go wrong with hallertau, spalt, or Mount Hood.

Steve
[post="50227"][/post]​
Thanks Steve, I ended up using Tettanger.. hehe Only 10 grams though and found it wasn't enough for my liking.

Next time would try 20

Back