Entering A Recipe Into Brewmate Problems.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
LC Bright Ale Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 3.30
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.52
Anticipated EBC: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 25.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 3.00 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 7
9.1 0.30 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 9.4 45 min.
12.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 8.2 45 min.
10.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 4.2 15 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 3.7 15 min.
18.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet 6.80 0.0 0 min.
18.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.90 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

I have based this around 2 x 1.5kg cans of liquid unhopped light malt extract, and some dextrose to lighten the extract and make up the gravity.

Method:

Disolve one of the cans of extract in 14 liters of water in a large pot around the 18 to 20 liter mark. bring to the boil and add the hops as per recipe. Boil it so its rolling but not frothing. you want more that a simmer but less than a big frothing roll that boils over. USe your own judgement on this.

After the 45 min and addition of the flame out hops (0 min) remove from heat and disolve the second can of extract and the Destrose and crash chill in the laundry tub/bath tub by submersing the pot in cold water. Replace the water when it heats up.

Pour it into the fermenter, straining out the hops through a hop sock (ross) or something similar.

Top up with cold water in the fermenter, pitch yeast and keep below 20 deg.

The rest is up to you!

hope this helps a bit

Cheers

SO!
Background:
Tony has very kindly coverted his infamous Little Creatures Bright Ale clone into an extract version and I Have a couple mates coming round for a bit of a brew up tomorrow and would prefer to look like a pro then a novice (despite reality being the opposite).
Problem:
So I am using the brewmate software to enter the recipe above and am having a little difficulty with working out how to do the grain bill and working out potential gravities and other little things.

Also instead of using the Tins of liquid extract I am substituting it with Light Dry malt extract so I guess I will just list some questions below.

Am I correct in saying that 1.5kg of LME is = to 1.2kg of DME?

If so then,

Is their no issues in substituting 3kg of the LME in the recipe to 2.4kg of DME?

what would be the "potential gravity" of DME?

Tony mentions a brewhouse efficiancy of 75% Can someone elaborate on this? I was under the impression that efficiency was only related
to mashing and how much sugar is extracted from the mashed grain?

Even with the above efficiency set at 100% in brewmate I am not able to hit the 1.046 original gravity without adding more of the extract or dextrose. why is that?

In Brewmate (recipe designer) is it possible to edit the weight column in the grain bill rather then the percentages? and also the same thing with the OG can I set weights and It works out my gravity?

I have not used brewmate before but is it possible to use it as an extract/ partial program rather then AG?

Thanks for your help!

bump, I ended up using ians spreadsheet instad of brew mate, I am thinking some of the forumulas in bre mate could be flawed.

bump, I ended up using ians spreadsheet instad of brew mate, I am thinking some of the forumulas in bre mate could be flawed.

Play with the software some more. In settings set the grainbill calculation to % by weight then from the recipe add Dry Malt Extract @ the percentage listed in the Promash recipe printout (90.9%) and the Dextrose, the OG can thgen be adjusted to the desired figure, this will alter the amount of each fermentable while maintaining the percentage (great feature). Naturally, altering efficiency will not alter fermentables amounts in an extract recipe. Extract points ppg for all fermentables contained in the fermentables database, so need to alter these.

Screwy

b]Tonys LCBA Extract Recipe[/b]

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046
Colour (SRM): 6.9
Bitterness (IBU): 25.5

90.9% Dry Malt Extract - Light
9.1% Dextrose

0.5 g/l B Saaz (6.8% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/l Cascade (5.9% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/l B Saaz (6.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/l Cascade (5.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/l B Saaz (18% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/l Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20c with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

O great I didn't notice that setting, It looks like I can change from AG to extract in the program as well. I will keep playing.

O great I didn't notice that setting, It looks like I can change from AG to extract in the program as well. I will keep playing.

Fiddle with the software, it's feature rich already. Still has a little way to go in the mash schedule department but so far this app has my vote when it comes to new software, it's really shaping up nicely. If mash stepping was included in the Beta at this stage I would be using it live and posting recipes using the forum friendly (inc BB code) text generator. Great simple easy to use app.

Screwy

Just playin around with brewmate while I have the time and urge. Trying to put in BribieG,s malt liquor recipe, and want to setup the potential extract, and srm for the polenta and rice contained in his recipe.

Have had a google and haven't turned up much info, any clues from the heads on here?

Just playin around with brewmate while I have the time and urge. Trying to put in BribieG,s malt liquor recipe, and want to setup the potential extract, and srm for the polenta and rice contained in his recipe.

Have had a google and haven't turned up much info, any clues from the heads on here?
I'd use these:
Ingredient,Extract,SRM
Rice,1.040,0.5
Maize,1.040,0.5

Both should yield about the same (other entries I've seen have 1.038 for both) and have much the same colour, rice may be a hint lighter perhaps. Use a high- diastase malt though when mashing, I think that would be important. :icon_cheers:

I'd use these:
Ingredient,Extract,SRM
Rice,1.040,0.5
Maize,1.040,0.5

Both should yield about the same (other entries I've seen have 1.038 for both) and have much the same colour, rice may be a hint lighter perhaps. Use a high- diastase malt though when mashing, I think that would be important. :icon_cheers:

Thanks R. Have 5 kg of Galaxy and mobs of BB ale to go into this effort, they should do the job.

Cheers

Rob

Oh, so you've got some Galaxy! Shhh, don't tell everyone... oh damn, I think I just blew it, sorry! :rolleyes: Hey, I know you've got truckloads of malt, why are you using adjuncts?! :blink:

In all seriousness, I hope it turns out a good 'un- I sampled BribieG's at BABBs a few weeks ago and it holds the rocket fuel nature of the stuff quite well. I'm heading in the other direction though, lower alc with enough character to make it interesting.

FWIW, I actually did a few Munich Helles about a year ago with about half a kilo of polenta in a 21L batch, the corniness takes some smothering IMO so I just deleted it. As it so happens I'm just entering a later variant in the Nats this very day, fingers crossed! :unsure:

Good luck in the nats Ralph! Brewing the malt liquor for funs sake, can't wait to see what it does to the mates. Would have it under way now, but none of the local supermarkets have polenta!

Just been on a big wheat beer bent, drinking them as fast as can brew them!

Good luck in the nats Ralph! Brewing the malt liquor for funs sake, can't wait to see what it does to the mates. Would have it under way now, but none of the local supermarkets have polenta!

Just been on a big wheat beer bent, drinking them as fast as can brew them!
Thanks! :icon_cheers:

Polenta does show up in odd some places, try the pasta section, but if you're at Wilsonton it is near the deli, between fruit & veg and the hot chooks. Oh wait, I remember that you're out of town a bit, sorry... Let me know if you can't find it, you could have mine for nix!

BTW, be careful SWMBO doesn't go nuts if you're brewing in this mucky weather, there will be massive condensation... :(

Thanks! :icon_cheers:

Polenta does show up in odd some places, try the pasta section, but if you're at Wilsonton it is near the deli, between fruit & veg and the hot chooks. Oh wait, I remember that you're out of town a bit, sorry... Let me know if you can't find it, you could have mine for nix!

BTW, be careful SWMBO doesn't go nuts if you're brewing in this mucky weather, there will be massive condensation... :(

Usually brew outside, but have moved the keggle into the bathroom for the last few batches :eek: .
I swear i have seen polenta in the pittsworth supermarkets but ... no more.

May leave the galaxy out of this batch and save it for one last xxxx clone :ph34r: or something.

Cheers
Rob

Back