English Style Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Stuster .. one years brewing for me is probably only 2 months for you! :)

I read your belgian yeast thing newguy, when you first posted it. Very inspiring. That, and a comment in brew like a monk from one of the brewer/fathers from westmalle?? rochefort?? can't remember .. saying the yeast is the most important part of the beers flavour. Until then I think I'd thought the yeast made the alcohol! That was awhile ago! :)

Making smaller batches is a good idea, but 4l batches is probably impractical. 11l litre batches would be OK though.

I just love the descriptions of these english yeasts ... 1968 is supposed to give orange marmalade flavours and
WLP023 says it provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear.

I will continue to ponder the practicalities of this .. and the effect it will have on HWMBO! :)

4l was a pain to bottle, I'll admit that. But it's nice being able to finish the experiment quickly. Do you belong to a club? Maybe you can find some like-minded brewers to help? The nice thing about getting many participants is that you can raffle off the yeast cake from each mini batch - it's perfect for pitching into a larger batch. If you do any yeast ranching, it's also a nice way of getting 10 different varieties to propagate all at once.

Good luck with the experiment. The Belgian experiment was a real eye opener for me and for everyone who tasted the results.

I've got an ESB bubbling like mad at the moment with this yeast. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
I'm going to do an oatmeal stout soon, and was wondering how this yeast would go with it. Might have to give it a go now.

Definately give it a go! I have a nice Oatmeal Stout done with 1968 on tap at present. Could have been fantastic if I didn't over hop it (too bitter, lost some of it's smoothness, but will do again with some tweaks)

2.25 is a winchester isn't it? They're easy enough to get hold of but that would be very fiddly.
But maybe if I did 5 winchesters and a half batch. Hmmm ... with my crude temperature control i think I'd have to pick the right time of year.
And, as you say, I'd need donations for yeast!

2.25 is a winchester isn't it? They're easy enough to get hold of but that would be very fiddly.
But maybe if I did 5 winchesters and a half batch. Hmmm ... with my crude temperature control i think I'd have to pick the right time of year.
And, as you say, I'd need donations for yeast!

Happy for you to rifle thru my yeast bank and grab any you like the look of.

Latest posts

Back