English Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Timothy Taylor Landlord ?
I purchased a few bottles after trying it at the Little Creatures food hall in Fitzroy the other week and enjoyed them in fact I liked them so much I would like to brew it . Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info on it , all I know is that it is made with GP malt but most of the brewers cannot seem to come up with the flavour . I understand that the yeast is Wyeast 1469 and have managed to get hold of a slant . Can anyone shed some light on this brew as far as a good recipe goes .

Thanks
Mike (beerbelly) :icon_drool2:

Yep, its popular all right! Consider yourself very lucky, all my recent attempts to procure some have turned up dud! Here's a few pointers, there's lots of posts about it.

I purchased a few bottles after trying it at the Little Creatures food hall in Fitzroy the other week and enjoyed them in fact I liked them so much I would like to brew it . Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info on it , all I know is that it is made with GP malt but most of the brewers cannot seem to come up with the flavour . I understand that the yeast is Wyeast 1469 and have managed to get hold of a slant . Can anyone shed some light on this brew as far as a good recipe goes .

Thanks
Mike (beerbelly) :icon_drool2:

breaking my self imposed non-posting rule because....I have to ask, are you f#$&ing serious??Honestly, dude....do a search. Check the recipe db.....sort by popularity, and scan down the page a whole couple of recipes. It's only like the third highest rated recipe on this site.

sarcasm and short temper due to the obviousness of your question vs the length of time you've been registered on here as a user.
:rolleyes:

edit: which happens to be longer than myself. Sorry, but you should know better.

Do a search on Dr Smurto's Landlord in the recipe database, should be a good starting point.

The essential hop is Styrian Goldings, and also Wyeast 1469, although other Yorkshire yeasts such as Ringwood can do an excellent job as well.
Current efforts around the traps are focussing on 'caramelising' some of the GP wort to produce darker colour and more complex malt flavours rather than relying on choc or black malt for the colouring. I would also bet that water chemistry has a lot to do with it as well, I usually add a bit of Calcium Carbonate to the mash and some Calcium Chloride as well.

:icon_cheers:

breaking my self imposed non-posting rule because....I have to ask, are you f#$&ing serious??Honestly, dude....do a search. Check the recipe db.....sort by popularity, and scan down the page a whole couple of recipes. It's only like the third highest rated recipe on this site.

sarcasm and short temper due to the obviousness of your question vs the length of time you've been registered on here as a user.

edit: which happens to be longer than myself. Sorry, but you should know better.

Butters, Butters, Butters, are you looking for another holiday from AHB. I reckon that well known AHB pot stirrer from Adelaide has affected your thinking :lol: Calm down son before you spill your English Fuggles.

beer belly, in answer to your question butters is on the money :p and for my opinion, yes its a nice beer but its not something I would personally rave on about :ph34r:

BYB

I purchased a few bottles after trying it at the Little Creatures food hall in Fitzroy the other week and enjoyed them in fact I liked them so much I would like to brew it . Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info on it ,
eh? are you serious? not a lot of info. i got a whole set of shortcuts dedicated to this beer. it is fantastic, good luck brewing something close to it (as anything nearly as good would still be great!).
joe

Geez sorry I asked I have had a few and couldn't be assed to go looking for something that was maybe on the tip of your tongue . SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY Butters . All I waqnted was a quick reply boy did I get It !!!!!!!!! :huh:

(BB)

P.S. I have been reading it on this great forum !!

Sorry, chief, but it is one of those things that is talked about to the n'th degree. DrSmurto is the head brewer in this case...it's his particular holy grail, and he's put literally hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours into it (and other brewers have added to that, with fairly extensive research). have a look in the DB, and in particular have a read through the recipe feedback thread in relation to the grain choice (and the reasoning behind it) and the water profile.

edit: Not spilling fuggles, andy: drinking Irish red atm, with nary a fuggle in sight. Must be the celtic fighting spirit :lol:

and fwiw, I also happen to think that TTL is over-rated....over bittered, over flavour-hopped, and a bit on the one dimensional side. But that's just 2c only. I can, however, certainly understand why others like it as much as they do.

breaking my self imposed non-posting rule

All I have to say is wether it be airlocks, TTL, kittens, or PH chemistry (which I know nothing about), anything you post mate is something not many people contribute to AHB, and is always a pleasure to read. Don't bother with the riff raff dude, even if they are dickheads.

Edit: Not taliking about you BB, something, actully quite a few things completely not related to this thread at all

...beer belly, in answer to your question butters is on the money :p and for my opinion, yes its a nice beer but its not something I would personally rave on about :ph34r:

BYB

I agree :ph34r: . It was good and I can appreciate its awesomeness for some people, but it's not for me... Will give it another couple of tastes though as 1 bottle is a little limiting for a full taste test.

Hehe, we can be cranky old farts eh Butters :lol:

Screwy

Back