English Brown Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
A few recipes I've seen ask for English Brown malt. Is there anything close to this? Also, while I'm asking questions, how much cara-aroma is too much in a 25 litre batch? I've seen a mild extratct recipe that asks for 400g. Is this ok? I haven't used cara-aroma to date. Thanks in advance.

A few recipes I've seen ask for English Brown malt. Is there anything close to this? Also, while I'm asking questions, how much cara-aroma is too much in a 25 litre batch? I've seen a mild extratct recipe that asks for 400g. Is this ok? I haven't used cara-aroma to date. Thanks in advance.

I had a quick look on craftbrewer and Ross sells English Brown Malt so that would be as close as you get really...

According to one site: Brown malt is traditionally used in dark ales, and is kilned over a hardwood fire, imparting a smoky flavor. Use in 2 - 10% of the mash for bocks, porters, and stouts. It has a colour of 65L

Sounds like to get what you want you would need this, or else a combination of a very small amount of smoked and some chocolate or something but why take the risk when you can get the exact product?

Can't really comment on the car-aroma, 16% - 400/2400 say, doesn't seem too much. You would hope that the recipe writer has tried and enjoyed the recipe...

Caraarom is loverly...goes fantastic in Porter or dark beers. Definatly make some use of it

Also makes a fantastic Amber style ale if you use about 10% with straight ale malt

I did an amber with caraaroma and it is a fabulous beer. My dad reckons it is one of the best he has ever tasted

CaraAroma is a very strong crystal, at 5% you'll find its quite prominent. Especially in an extract brew I wouldn't go over that, unless you're also adding sugar to dry it out a little.

Another one is English Mild Malt. All of the mild recipes call for Mild malt and some of the brown ale recipes as well. Haven't seen a supplier who sells this either?

I get all my grain from Roy at TWOC in Western Oz. I haven't seen any Mild on the shelves there.

CaraAroma is a very strong crystal, at 5% you'll find its quite prominent. Especially in an extract brew I wouldn't go over that, unless you're also adding sugar to dry it out a little.

Yes it is....but tastes great if used right....

My amber started as an ESB recipie but the Caraaroma turned it into an Amber...and a bloody nice one.
Sometimes accidents can result in great things

Back