Ella (formerly Stella)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dandelions is a long way from tropical fruit. And not just in the alphabet.
What do you think about an Irish red then slash?

I don't really have any experience with Irish Red. Never brewed one, don't think I've ever drank one. I think it would go better in a European style though, so you're on the right track. Anything that typically calls for noble hops I imagine it would work in.

My last kits and bits brew was stella + topaz. It was by far my favourite but I can't remember exactly what about it was good.

I'm in the same boat I guess.

I'm going to try a English bitter with my Ella and Summer.

In this thread the guy uses all Stella hops.

I will probably buy this hop again. I think its well-suited to a single-hop beer.
I was thinking of using this as a FWH addition. I figured it may help smooth out the bitterness seeing as the cohumulone content is reasonably high.

I've done quite a few brews with this hop now and love it.

Kinda floral, think fruit blossoms not wild flowers, in low doses around 20-30 min.
In higher late doses, maybe 2+ g/L at 10 or 5, gave really delicious apricot/marmalade flavours.
~1 g/L at flameout gave a nice balance between fruity apricot and floral aroma.
I've used it for bittering in a blonde ale with 30% maize and didn't find it harsh at all. I figured if it was going to be harsh, it would do so in this beer.

I've used it at 60, 30, 15, 10, 5 and 0 have have loved every beer.
The only thing I haven't done yet is dry hop it.

Sounds good to me. I was put off by the earlier reference to star anise (love anise but not in beer). Anyone else get this character? I'm more a noble hop guy than a new world guy.

I got a nice smack of mango when I brewed a single hopped pale ale with this, with more fruit and less spice than some other reports.

Speaking of which, I should probably get some more and do some more experimenting...

Any one used ella in an ESB type beer?

I was thinking:
OG: 1.042 4%abv
FWH to ~13 Ibu
@30 to ~15 ibu
@5 to ~5 ibu
WLP 023

sponge said:
I got a nice smack of mango when I brewed a single hopped pale ale with this, with more fruit and less spice than some other reports.

Speaking of which, I should probably get some more and do some more experimenting...
I agree with the more fruit and less spice assessment. I cubed hopped a pale lager with some Ella and during fermentation all I got was tropical fruits, not spicy or floral at all.

Yes my beer is currently lagering, so will be interesting to see what it is like after 6 weeks of aging.

So I used this on Sunday and it's nearly at fg. The description of fruit, spice and floral really nails it. 10g @60, 10g @30 10g @10 very tasty

Back