• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Ella (formerly Stella)

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Not For Horses

Reaction score
Dandelions is a long way from tropical fruit. And not just in the alphabet.
What do you think about an Irish red then slash?

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
I don't really have any experience with Irish Red. Never brewed one, don't think I've ever drank one. I think it would go better in a European style though, so you're on the right track. Anything that typically calls for noble hops I imagine it would work in.

treefiddy

Reaction score
My last kits and bits brew was stella + topaz. It was by far my favourite but I can't remember exactly what about it was good.

I'm in the same boat I guess.

BilBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to try a English bitter with my Ella and Summer.

treefiddy

Reaction score
In this thread the guy uses all Stella hops.

I will probably buy this hop again. I think its well-suited to a single-hop beer.
I was thinking of using this as a FWH addition. I figured it may help smooth out the bitterness seeing as the cohumulone content is reasonably high.

Not For Horses

Reaction score
I've done quite a few brews with this hop now and love it.

Kinda floral, think fruit blossoms not wild flowers, in low doses around 20-30 min.
In higher late doses, maybe 2+ g/L at 10 or 5, gave really delicious apricot/marmalade flavours.
~1 g/L at flameout gave a nice balance between fruity apricot and floral aroma.
I've used it for bittering in a blonde ale with 30% maize and didn't find it harsh at all. I figured if it was going to be harsh, it would do so in this beer.

I've used it at 60, 30, 15, 10, 5 and 0 have have loved every beer.
The only thing I haven't done yet is dry hop it.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I was put off by the earlier reference to star anise (love anise but not in beer). Anyone else get this character? I'm more a noble hop guy than a new world guy.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
I got a nice smack of mango when I brewed a single hopped pale ale with this, with more fruit and less spice than some other reports.

Speaking of which, I should probably get some more and do some more experimenting...

MitchD

Reaction score
Any one used ella in an ESB type beer?

I was thinking:
OG: 1.042 4%abv
FWH to ~13 Ibu
@30 to ~15 ibu
@5 to ~5 ibu
WLP 023

GalBrew

Reaction score
sponge said:
I got a nice smack of mango when I brewed a single hopped pale ale with this, with more fruit and less spice than some other reports.

Speaking of which, I should probably get some more and do some more experimenting...
I agree with the more fruit and less spice assessment. I cubed hopped a pale lager with some Ella and during fermentation all I got was tropical fruits, not spicy or floral at all.

GalBrew

Reaction score
Yes my beer is currently lagering, so will be interesting to see what it is like after 6 weeks of aging.

MitchD

Reaction score
So I used this on Sunday and it's nearly at fg. The description of fruit, spice and floral really nails it. 10g @60, 10g @30 10g @10 very tasty

Latest posts