Ella Columbus IIPA thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Planning on doing a brew on sunday, first time doing a double IPA, just want some thoughts on the recipe

Dont have all the exact stats with me, but the ingredients:

I usually get ~85%, but will allow 75% for this one due to gravity
50L batch

12kg Ale malt (BB)
4kg Wheat malt (BB)
1kg Munich
0.5kg Carramunich II

Should come to about 1.08 for ~8.5%

The hops is where I could use some guidance. so far i have:
Both based on 14%AA, i havnt actually check what the values of the hops i have is yet (really quite slack)

200g [cube] Ella
200g [cube] Columbus

100g [Dry] Ella
100g [Dry] Columbus

should come out to ~80IBUs

From what i understand, both are quite strong character'd hops, so should i keep them at 1:1, or offset them?
Going for a solid backbone of dank bitterness. :)

I'd crank up the Ella a bit more, personally. Stone fruit versus dank in equal amounts sounds a little biased towards the dank.

Are you going to strain the hops out of the cube as you pour into the FV ? I'd recommend doing so, 400g is going to translate into a rather large mess in the cube.

Dan

Noted.

it will be strained upon entering the FV. and it will be split between 2 cubes... but still a lot of hops in the cube.

Ah yes, 50L batch. Didn't look at that bit.

But yeah, my previous advice still stands. I'm sure it'll be very tasty.

It is probably worth keeping in mind that most IBU formulas don't work well when the numbers get that high (>60 IBUs). Your calculated 85 IBUs will likely be lower than that in reality. So you might want to include some hops in the boil to get the bitterness needed in an IIPA.I

+1 for hops in the boil.

I aim for 30% of the ibu's in an ipa from the 60 min addition. Have an 120 ibu black ipa pouring at the moment and that had 50% of the ibus at 60 mins.

Thanks guys,

I will look at throwing some magnum in at the start of the boil.

n87 said:
Planning on doing a brew on sunday, first time doing a double IPA, just want some thoughts on the recipe

Dont have all the exact stats with me, but the ingredients:

I usually get ~85%, but will allow 75% for this one due to gravity
50L batch

12kg Ale malt (BB)
4kg Wheat malt (BB)
1kg Munich
0.5kg Carramunich II

Should come to about 1.08 for ~8.5%

The hops is where I could use some guidance. so far i have:
Both based on 14%AA, i havnt actually check what the values of the hops i have is yet (really quite slack)

200g [cube] Ella
200g [cube] Columbus

100g [Dry] Ella
100g [Dry] Columbus

should come out to ~80IBUs

From what i understand, both are quite strong character'd hops, so should i keep them at 1:1, or offset them?
Going for a solid backbone of dank bitterness. :)
15 + kg of grain, how big are your brew pots/ rig setup ?

I would space out your hops .. 10 days 5 days 3 days for best results on the dry hop and stagger them in the boil otherwise you wont get a double IPA.. There will be stuff all bitterness. Not a fan of Ella in an IPA but meh.. if thats what you like..magnum is fine for early bittering.. it just doent throw flavour at that time.. rely on your later hops to do that.. the flavours here seem a little confusing now withthe hop..columbus quite dank and the ella light and floral.. seems confusing what you are trying to acheive to me, but this is from memory.

big fan of columbus for bittering additon ...agree with the fwh idea above!

+1 to use Columbus as FWH.
It should be a smoother bittering, but i think i actually get a bit of deep flavour from FWH, compared to 60min additions.

I'd also swap the Munich & Wheat around.
... In fact, i'd be tempted to drop the Wheat.

Have you considered doing a smaller batch if you're (really) not sure on the recipe?
For other styles i'd think what the hell, but with the vast amount of grain and hops blazed in a DIPA, i reckon i'd want to be a bit more confident with my recipe before doing 50L of it. Just a thought.

I know your asking about the hops, but id like to address the malt bill. Go with all pale malt and either Munich to 10% or Caramunich to 5%. I get why the wheat is there but your mouthfeel should be about the hop resin and dry from a 90min mash at 65c. Add 5% or more dextrose again to dry the beer and make the hops shine. Its a double IPA which means double the hops, not double the sweetness. If you need to add wheat, 1kg will be plenty to add that solid foam and feel.

Just 2c

spog said:
15 + kg of grain, how big are your brew pots/ rig setup ?
82L single vessel BIAB :drinks:

Grainer said:
I would space out your hops .. 10 days 5 days 3 days for best results on the dry hop and stagger them in the boil otherwise you wont get a double IPA.. There will be stuff all bitterness. Not a fan of Ella in an IPA but meh.. if thats what you like..magnum is fine for early bittering.. it just doent throw flavour at that time.. rely on your later hops to do that.. the flavours here seem a little confusing now withthe hop..columbus quite dank and the ella light and floral.. seems confusing what you are trying to acheive to me, but this is from memory.
TBH, this is the first time i will have worked with either hop.
From what i have tasted in commercial (albeit 18 months ago) Ella can bring out a little dark with a hit of fruity
And i understand that columbus is the go to dank.
I thought these would go nicely together.

Would really like to hear if someone has used this combo before.

Pratty1 said:
I know your asking about the hops, but id like to address the malt bill. Go with all pale malt and either Munich to 10% or Caramunich to 5%. I get why the wheat is there but your mouthfeel should be about the hop resin and dry from a 90min mash at 65c. Add 5% or more dextrose again to dry the beer and make the hops shine. Its a double IPA which means double the hops, not double the sweetness. If you need to add wheat, 1kg will be plenty to add that solid foam and feel.

Just 2c
The main reason behind the grain bill, is that ive only got 12kg on hand of base, 1kg of munich, and 1kg of caramunich.
I would have prob just put 1kg in otherwise.

The reason for going 50L straight up, is that its seems like so much of a waste to do all the same work for only a small batch.

From what you are all saying, i might put this on the back burner for a couple of weeks, get my grain delivery from the bulk buy, and redo the malt bill.

Latest posts

Back