Electricians....question For You?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAH...most new houses are built that tight they would flat out have a total of 8 doubles in the house :lol:

Yeah project homes Stu. Cabled my sons new place couple of years back, 800M of 2.5 T&E, 600M of 1.5 T&E 100M of cat5 plus 3pr and 6pr for security. 16 ceiling fans, 4 x 2W switches, dimmers frikkin hell

By the time we allowed for bio-cycle and water pumps we had 6 pwr ccts 2 per ELCB/Ssw. Volunteered to wire the place as alove job.......................took nearly a week :(

Screwy

Another off topic, but since LC was asked not to comment at the outset, it's probable ok :lol:

The whole bepuzzlement of all this code and stuff is the average Joe is then free to take his $2.50 down to Bunnings and by a four way powerboad and plub whatever the damn hell he wants into it... Yeah I know I know, user responsibility, but it's still stupid these things are allowed

Yep, cant count how many offices have powerboards pluged into power boards......scary stuff

Yeah I remember something about that, but it isnt absoloute, but you must have a 16Amp breaker on the cct

I use it as an absolute... It could save an argument with an II.

Edit: I just spoke to an II here in Sydney, and you're right... They do just treat it as a guide, not a rule.

The whole bepuzzlement of all this code and stuff is the average Joe is then free to take his $2.50 down to Bunnings and by a four way powerboad and plub whatever the damn hell he wants into it... Yeah I know I know, user responsibility, but it's still stupid these things are allowed
We bought a 12 point board from bunnings a few years ago.
We affectionately named it the 12 banger.
We only ran a few computers of it though it was a very impressive piece!!

Well just to keep the ot going,

HAH...most new houses are built that tight they would flat out have a total of 8 doubles in the house :lol:

I wish I worked on these houses stu. I just ordered all the GPO's and switches for a house I'm doing at atm, all saturn series, 62 GPOs. At whatever price they come in at, plus now we can only have 3 ccts/rcd, rcd's on AC ccts, oven ccts (nearly everything now really) which means bigger SB which means more money. All we hear is I want, I want, I want, then when the quote comes in "Why does it cost so much?" followed by accusing stare at obviously profiteering sparky.
End rant. First day back at work.......

And Mark, possum transformers will solve your problem. Made in AUS, if installed properly we never get call backs to change them. Almost all others are cheap chinese made crap. Um, do I have to identify myself as a craftsparky to allow for that statement of their quality?

High guys. Was wondering if someone can help me with an electrical issue. You see I was in one of those retro shops and bought something similar to the picture below. Now before people start going off I want just a few pointers thats all. I have one of those sub boxes just out front of home that supplies part of our estate. Should I wire straight into that or through my power board :huh: Yep I would contact ETSA prior to linking through the sub box. It would be the polite thing to do, right? Anyway just thought I would pose the question, I mean since things have gotten a little :icon_offtopic:

chair.jpg

BTW and FWIW the chair is purely for aesthetics but it would be a real buzz or should I say a great talking point for friends when they call :unsure:

BYB

Ahhhhh I knew Kenny was moving but I didn't know he was moving in with you...

To spice this thread up a bit, built a new house 6 years ago, from day 1 you had to turn off both safety switches that were marked lights to actually stop electricity flowing to any individual light...hmm, the sparky couldn't possibly have crossed the circuits could they?

Packing up my Xmas lights this year, I had 4 x 4way power boards and 3 x 6 way power boards all piggy backed and running through a single timer and power point :ph34r:

High guys. Was wondering if someone can help me with an electrical issue. You see I was in one of those retro shops and bought something similar to the picture below. Now before people start going off I want just a few pointers thats all. I have one of those sub boxes just out front of home that supplies part of our estate. Should I wire straight into that or through my power board :huh: Yep I would contact ETSA prior to linking through the sub box. It would be the polite thing to do, right? Anyway just thought I would pose the question, I mean since things have gotten a little

View attachment 34919

BTW and FWIW the chair is purely for aesthetics but it would be a real buzz or should I say a great talking point for friends when they call

BYB

:lol: :lol: Is that for the cellar Igor?

High guys. Was wondering if someone can help me with an electrical issue. You see I was in one of those retro shops and bought something similar to the picture below. Now before people start going off I want just a few pointers thats all. I have one of those sub boxes just out front of home that supplies part of our estate. Should I wire straight into that or through my power board :huh: Yep I would contact ETSA prior to linking through the sub box. It would be the polite thing to do, right? Anyway just thought I would pose the question, I mean since things have gotten a little :icon_offtopic:

View attachment 34919

BTW and FWIW the chair is purely for aesthetics but it would be a real buzz or should I say a great talking point for friends when they call :unsure:

BYB

I would use a double adapter and run 2 leads to it, to give you twice as much power.If the fuse blows, just replace it with a big nail or bolt :D

I would use a double adapter and run 2 leads to it, to give you twice as much power.If the fuse blows, just replace it with a big nail or bolt :D

To really go OT.
A big nail(s) is exactly what an Australian VERY mainstream band used to use in the late 70's to make sure that their light show worked in older pubs. Well, actually it was the roadcrew, not the band, that carried out this procedure. Our roadcrew learnt a lot from these dedicated cowboys.

Cheers

Another off topic, but since LC was asked not to comment at the outset, it's probable ok :lol:
Hey, I was asked not to jump in with "don't do it or you'll kill yourself", which I definitely didn't do.

EDIT: unless you count my sig...

Totally off topic, but because of the power these downlights use (55w + transformer inefficiency) and the fire risk associated with them, we spent $500 and replaced them all with new inserts and compact flourescents (7 watts each). They fit in the same hole and everything. Each compact is equivalent to 75 watts from memory. Our place looks much brighter and we now use a boatload less power.

When pulling the transformers out, some were puffed up and split with burn marks on them!!!! The sooner these shitty lighting systems are banned by code, the better.

That's a good point, the transformers are loose in the roof and perhaps the ones that blew were sitting too close to the light. They get EXTREMELY hot these things. I measured one with my infra-red thermometer and it was well over 200 degrees. I have touched one accidentally and it's like touching a frying pan.

Dunno if I want to replace everything just yet. I was sort of waiting to see how LED lighting was advancing.

BTW just throwing this out there, if any sparkies want carton work or cash work or whatever in Brisbane let me know. Can do it whenever (night time if you want). Wouldn't mind a 15amp socket (right next to the circuit breakers) for an urn and some other bits and pieces done.

To really go OT.
A big nail(s) is exactly what an Australian VERY mainstream band used to use in the late 70's to make sure that their light show worked in older pubs. Well, actually it was the roadcrew, not the band, that carried out this procedure. Our roadcrew learnt a lot from these dedicated cowboys.

Cheers

LOL yep seen this one before - the top paper/foil from a cigarette box works equally well. And when doing festivals and powering off generators - "earth - what earth?" :ph34r: stops the light show dissapearing mid set. Ahh LX guys - nice and dodgy. Glad I wasn't responsible for any of that...

Wow. Very entertaining. I'm away from my computer for a day and a lot happens. Mental note, topics that evoke a visceral response on AHB:

1) Chinese hops.
2) Someone named Graham.
3) No chill.
4) Electricity.

;)

Just so that this isn't completely OT, some circuit breaker trivia. In my 2nd year of undergrad we did a lab where we had to test a standard 120V, 15A breaker's time to activation as a function of current. Bear in mind that breakers will wear out over time - their internal workings get weak and they will tend to flip sooner than a new one, and these breakers had been abused by literally thousands of students prior to us abusing them. At 75A, it took 20 minutes for the breaker to flip. I don't remember any of the other data points but I do remember that we had to use a log-log plot to get a straight line. For relatively "low" overcurrents of 20-25A, it would take hours to flip. All this was done in a small lab with what we called the toaster boxes - large open caged carts with huge red hot power resistors. I'm certain the temperature in that room exceeded 45C by the time we were finished.

Hey Newguy,

That's why they are used for circuit protection and not personal saftey.

Kabooby :)

Back