Efficiency ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Hi all,
well its probably a stupid question but I am asking anyway how do you work out your effficiency of your mash.

Cheers Arch
:party:

Archie
Not a stupid question at all, and reasonably easy to answer. Basically, you work out the kilo's of grain, multiplied by their extract number, and divide by the litres in yer kettle. I do everything by hand, so work it out the american way, cause all the books I have are seppo ones. Check out www.howtobrew.com for more detailed instructions.
EG 5kg pale malt x 2.2 (to get to pounds) x 36 (extract potential) / 6.5 gallons (25L)
= 11 x 36 = 396 / 6.5
= 60.92, or 61
so, your 100% efficiency would be about 1.061. Say you got 1.048, divide 48 by 61, and it will give ya your efficiency
48/61 = 0.786, times 100 (if ya can be bothered) gives you about 78.6% efficiency.
I am sure it is easy enough to do it in kilo's and litres, but I am just used to pounds/gallons. How to brew will give you all the extract potentials of most malts, and also tell ya how to convert those numbers for pounds, into numbers for kilos. From memory, it is multiply by 8.34?
Easier way to work it all out is to punch all yer figures into promash or similar, and let that tell ya how ya did!
Hope that helps a little
Trent

Download Promash. Don't pay for it and you have three uses before it locks you out. After this you can still load a recipe, delete all the ingredients and add the current recipe and it will give you all the answers. The only drawback is that I now have to revert to the original style of data storage - the pen and paper - to "save" my information.

One day, when I'm not spending all my money on other stuff ( eg food, electicity etc.) I will pay for the software and then I can save all my infromation...

Steve

Hey all
Thanks for the info,
I have bough a copy of promash and ill check it out to where it calculates the efficieny i was just curious how to do it by hand

Thanks
Arch

Latest posts

Back