Effect Of High Pitching Temperature?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Cleaner

Reaction score
Hey guys, just still starting out here, and I made the mistake last night of pitching my yeast a little hot. After topping up to 21L, I still found the temperature was 28 degrees, but pitched instinctively because a) my starter was already close to overflowing in the cup, and B) I remember reading that pitching hot is okay if it avoids infection due to it lingering.

Anyway, the pitching temperature was around 28 degrees, and I used ~11 grams of US-05 for the brew. Realising it was way too warm, I packed my beer insulator (that I made last night) with a few frozen PET bottles. 7 hours later, it was down to around 25, and after changing the bottles, I had it down to 22 degrees within around 12 hours of pitching. It's now on ~20 degrees nearly 24 hours after pitching, and I plan to keep it at 18 for the rest of the brew.

I read that yeasts produce the majority of esters during the growth stage (ie, initial) of fermentation. Given that the brew would have been pretty warm during this phase, am I likely to have significantly messed up my brew? Also, would the drop of temperature of 8 degrees over 24 hours be enough to induce temperature shock to my yeast? I'm not too worried, as it's only my second brew, and next time I know to have some chilled water on hand to get the temperature down before pitching.

Cheers guys

Given that the brew would have been pretty warm during this phase, am I likely to have significantly messed up my brew? Also, would the drop of temperature of 8 degrees over 24 hours be enough to induce temperature shock to my yeast? I'm not too worried, as it's only my second brew, and next time I know to have some chilled water on hand to get the temperature down before pitching.

Cheers guys

No, your brew will likely be OK. If you left it any longer you would notice fussels or unwanted esters, but if it dropped in the first 12 hours while your yeast was still multiplying and hasnt really started fermenting the whole wort yet - it's unlikely that you'll notice it.

The 10C drop over 12hrs is no problem at all for temperature shock, after all most people pull their yeast packets out of their 4C fridge and pitch them into room temperature wort only several hours later.

A great way to avoid this is to boil up some water and freeze it in some 1 or two liter blocks (I found the large honey containers worked pretty well). Pitch one in as part of your water addition and your temperature will be much closer to where you want it.

cheers

grant

I did a similar thing only with Lager yeast. pitched at 28 deg but had it down to 14 deg within about 10-12 hours. Do you recon I will get away with it?

For the record it was Brew Cellar "Premium lager Yeast" and Brew Cellar "European Yeast"

I did a similar thing only with Lager yeast. pitched at 28 deg but had it down to 14 deg within about 10-12 hours. Do you recon I will get away with it?

For the record it was Brew Cellar "Premium lager Yeast" and Brew Cellar "European Yeast"

what does the manufacturer say about the yeast you pitched? it just may well be at "propper" rehydration temps and no adverse effects.. if it was a 2 liter starter you had at 12'c onto 28'c wort I would freak out...

For lagers, we recommend inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (68-70F/ 20-21C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature.

Oh, sounds great, Wyeast. Can I do the same for Ales?

Shake well, open and pour the Activator™ into 5 gallons of well aerated or oxygenated wort up to 1.060 OG at 65-72F (18-22C). Maintain temperature until fermentation is evident by CO2 bubble formation, bubbling airlock or foaming on top of wort. For high gravity or low temperature fermentations additional yeast may be required. Adjust to desired fermentation temperature.

Oh, wow, so I should actually be pitching warm and waiting for krausen, and then lowering the temperature? Gee wizz, Wyeast, thanks for telling me how to do this.

Where can I find more info?

Try the internets, fool.

Oh, sounds great, Wyeast. Can I do the same for Ales?

Oh, wow, so I should actually be pitching warm and waiting for krausen, and then lowering the temperature? Gee wizz, Wyeast, thanks for telling me how to do this.

Where can I find more info?
lol ... talking yeast!!!

Coopers suggest you ferment your beers at 28c too Nick, don't forget about that.

Nick JD

your ass is getting lonely

why don't you go stick your head back up it......

I pitched the yeast at a few deg. over what I would consider a good temperature to pitch at and would like to know what effect that will have on the final product.

I pitched the yeast at a few deg. over what I would consider a good temperature to pitch at and would like to know what effect that will have on the final product.

I've never heard of the yeasts you mention - so I can't comment on how they may taste - but in general yeast are very polite diners. Even though they see a feast all around them, they wait until everybody is seated before they begin eating.

This means they have to bud off quite a few times to get to the population they have determined is correct for the diner being served.

You throw in a hundred billion ... there's a gazillion when you see activity. This growth phase is easier on them if it's in the biological "sweet spot" 18-26C, where things are easy on critters. They will breed well and fast.

What you don't want is to have them begin the feast while it's still in the twenties - because at this temp, lager yeast burp and fart a lot while eating. Those burps taste like fruit. Weirdly though, their farts are less smelly at warmer ferments.

In general, a warm growth phase is not a problem with any yeast - as long as you get it down to a recommended ferment temp when they start eating sugaz. Getting this right is the tricky part, and many people prefer to breed them up in a starter to a more adequate population and pitch them at a fermentation temp to avoid the party starting hot.

Latest posts

Back