• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one of the no-name concealed element versions and ran 20-odd brews through it in 12 months before it cacked itself (was not paying attention and a big rye wheaty burned a massive scorch & cooked the element). Won't do more than a simmer at 90-odd degrees now, even with bypassing cut off etc.
Got this model in the linky (you can offer less, I got mine for $110) and have put half a dozen brews through with no dramas. Had to take the thermostat sensor thing away from the bottom though as it seems to be wrongly calibrated, so wouldn't hold a boil. Other than that no probs, not a huge intensity heat so the boil off the element is a nice fine set of bubbles along the full length, a nice rolling boil rather than a volcanic one. Changed the tap to a ball valve as they are pretty slow otherwise, and get pretty manky.
cheers!

I got the exposed element 38l one as a hlt. Pretty cheap construction but fairly heavy duty looking element.

Main issue is that the sizing is bogus. Closer to 29l, i complained and was offered a refund, settled on a $30 part refund.

Ive done 10 brews and about the same as many boils. Great for sterilising and for boiled water.

Yep that was the other thing, thanks for the reminder Mikeyr, mine was sold as a 48L but was actually 44. The kettle draws 2200W when its boiling, and while not super quick to ramp up, 8-10 degrees every 8 mins or so, it will keep that boil going. At $120 delivered, it's about $5 a brew if it lasts as long as the first one. That's cheaper than yeast ;)

I have one of those "48L" urns, as said its more like 43L, but thats ok, got a discount instead.

Having some minor issues with wort burning to the element, and the thermostat was so crap that i wired it direct and now run it via a PID.

spog said:
I hate Facebook. ;)
I also hate it... havent had an account for around 3 to 4 yrs.
The mrs found a bunch of probably illegally obtained 50L kegs in Newcastle for $20 each. Had to get one to try and convert to a fermenter. Has a shit tone of them... around 17 from memory.

Digga said:
I also hate it... havent had an account for around 3 to 4 yrs.
The mrs found a bunch of probably illegally obtained 50L kegs in Newcastle for $20 each. Had to get one to try and convert to a fermenter. Has a shit tone of them... around 17 from memory.
aah yes that fella who brought a property and they where under the house.....All from the same brewery too.

BottloBill said:
aah yes that fella who brought a property and they where under the house.....All from the same brewery too.
Yes that was the story he fed me as well!! Didn't tell they were all from the same brew house as there where a few different types/brands of kegs there. I just thought to cheap to be legit

It's not a stc, it's one of those crappy style so it wont switch between heat and cool automatically,
this one is also 12vdc not 220vac,
it also has one of those crappy metal temp probes.

Back