• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matplat said:
Kmart have 2l erlenmeyer flasks for $5 not pyrex obviously but still good for starters
Borosilicate? I'm wondering if they'd handle an ice bath after boiling the starter wort.

I had a look the other day and dismissed as they were marked not safe for microwave use,
figured they wouldn't be much chop.

They look like they are just plain glass, so doubt they would hold up to any rapid change in temp. They are in the hipster glass section, near the mason jars with straws.

Excuse the ignorance, am keen to get into starters...would it be worthwhile getting these if just doing basics of starters?

I'm interested too, they'd be a step up from my op shop flower vases and 'monkey shoulder' bourbon bottles that I'm using now,

The $5 kmart flasks have a curved bottom that's quite thick, too high for my pc fan stir plate.

If they aren't microwave proof are they flame proof ? Wouldn't put 2L of wort in one and stick it on the gas, maybe a cup of water first up to see if it cracks, much easier to clean up.

I think that not microwave would translate as not heating, they are labelled as a vase.

They need to be borosilicate, which for $5 you can assume they are not.

Try to go from gas to ice bath with soda glass and you are in for a wee bit of trouble.

If you are after cheap flasks, go to keg king... Almost always they have bubbles which IMNSHO is a disaster waiting to happen, but if you are local and can pick and choose you can get one with minimal defects near the bottom.

Edit: spelunk.

Yeah my intent is to only use it as a starter FV that i can clean with a bottle brush... and I dont have a stir plate, interesting what dibbz said though because the question had crossed my mind

They are basically one step up from a plastic drinks bottle which i have been using up until now...

If you won't be varying the temp of the glass/wort/starter much then it might suffice for the time being.
However the thick and curved base will mean you would not be able to use a stirplate, and the thinner ones look rather fragile.
$5 for a 1-2L glass flask is cheap, but you get what you pay for. Since it's glass at least for cleaning you'll be able to chuck in a teaspoon of sodium perc and leave for 48hrs, no elbow grease required. Keep in mind you'd normally use hot water for that and for these you won't as they're not borosilicate.
Tbh, this is one bit of kit I'd be tempted to put aside the tight-arsedness and just fork out for a 1 or 2L borosilicate conical flask. And I'm definitely the kinda guy that'd normally ignore that sort of advice and grab the $5 job.

Mad about science is cheap stuff... I got 6 500ml reagent glass bottles, very cheap, two broke in postage. Not sure I would trust the borsillicate glass. That being said they have this cool coffee cup made out of a beaker I would like.

I purchased my borosilicate 2L wide mouth from Aim Scientific here in Adelaide a few weeks back for $17. Needed ID to be able to purchase though..

Cleaning up the streets, one Flask at a time... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back