• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks unco but its way over priced for something to contain 10psi

thanks phoenix, i saw them at the brew shed but i got a gas splitter line instead.

If you're only ever going up to 10PSI I would be tempted to give that cheap splitter you linked a go!

I occasionally have soft drink and ginger beer on my taps, so I bought a heavy duty one, but I'd imagine almost anything will handle 10PSI. Worst case is it leaks and you wasted a couple of dollars.

EDIT: Also, to anyone who wants to try a 120 Minute from DFH, someone is selling on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-2009-Dogfi...2#ht_500wt_1413

Sorry unco it was just for beer and not soft drink even though i will need a tap for my kids when they reach that age... Now i need a drip tray

Good looking beer engine very nice. Looks to be in very good condition

Not sure that it is actually a pump - look more like a tap for dispensing the modern, carbonated brews from kegs. These are very common over in the uk and while the handle movement is the same as a pump, it only operates a valve to allow beer to flow under pressure. There is no pumping action.

This is confirmed by the wording of the advert:

PERFECT FOR USE AS A HOME BREW TAP

HTH,
Dave

Not sure that it is actually a pump - look more like a tap for dispensing the modern, carbonated brews from kegs. These are very common over in the uk and while the handle movement is the same as a pump, it only operates a valve to allow beer to flow under pressure. There is no pumping action.

This is confirmed by the wording of the advert:

HTH,
Dave

Hey bigfridge,
You need to read the Q&A. It is a pump. Also, look at photo 3. Looks like all the right parts are there.

Hey McKenry,

You need to read the Q&A. It is a pump. Also, look at photo 3. Looks like all the right parts are there.

I have done both thanks, which is why I reached my considered opinion. The wording is evasive as there is no mention that it actually works as a real ale beer engine.

From the pictures a lot of the critical detail is obsured, but when you compare what a Homark Beer Engine looks like eg:

beerengine2.jpg

with this unit, you can see that the cylinder is not big enough to actually be a pump. The true pump has the inlet at the bottom of the frame, whereas this 'tap' has the inlet half way up the frame.

I have seen both types of 'hand-pumps' and believe that any potential buyers need to be suitably suspicious.

Hey McKenry,

I have done both thanks, which is why I reached my considered opinion. The wording is evasive as there is no mention that it actually works as a real ale beer engine.

From the pictures a lot of the critical detail is obsured, but when you compare what a Homark Beer Engine looks like eg:

beerengine2.jpg

with this unit, you can see that the cylinder is not big enough to actually be a pump. The true pump has the inlet at the bottom of the frame, whereas this 'tap' has the inlet half way up the frame.

I have seen both types of 'hand-pumps' and believe that any potential buyers need to be suitably suspicious.

Hey bigfridge. OK I see your point. As always buyer beware. I'm not buying it, but I guess buyer could straight out ask.
I think its the real deal though. But my opinion matters not.
Seller does say he pumped a litre of water through it and it worked fine in the Q&A. If that is designed to deceive, or not, well I dunno.

what a Homark Beer Engine looks like eg:

Homark, aren't they no longer in existence? Parts have to be remanufactured? I'd be dubious of Homark for this reason, if correct.

Not actually a pump? 1/4 pint per pull perhaps? Yeah not a real pump. Half or full pint per pull are for men eh?

Tongue in cheek but a hint of seriousness to my questions.

Homark, aren't they no longer in existence? Parts have to be remanufactured? I'd be dubious of Homark for this reason, if correct.

Not actually a pump? 1/4 pint per pull perhaps? Yeah not a real pump. Half or full pint per pull are for men eh?

Tongue in cheek but a hint of seriousness to my questions.

1/4 Pint is the standard 'pull' recommended for those that 'want to pull their own at home' - 1/2 pint only for high turnover pubs. You want to minimise the amount of beer sitting in the cylinder getting warm/going flat between pulls.

Homark make both Traditional & Simulated Beer Engines:

Beer Engines come in two models and cannot be interchanged. Both models look exactly the samewith a pint stainless steel cylinder, the traditional mahogany plinth, stainless steel front and northern style swan neck.

- Item 6501 is a Traditional English Pub clamp-on Beer Engine. These are for cask conditioned ales only and cannot be used with normal keg beers. Before buying one of these Traditional engines be sure to check the beer distributers in you r area to see if they have cask conditioned ales.

- Item 6502 is a Simulated English Pub clamp-on Beer Engine designed specially for pressurized systems. These simulate the operation of the "'Traditional" beer engine without the cylinder. They have an internal flow control valve to increase or decrease the beer flow rate to compensate for different keg pressures.

The seller may have just hooked up the garden hose and when the 'pumped the handle' water flowed through it.

HTH

1/4 Pint is the standard 'pull' recommended for those that 'want to pull their own at home' - 1/2 pint only for high turnover pubs. You want to minimise the amount of beer sitting in the cylinder getting warm/going flat between pulls.

Homark make both Traditional & Simulated Beer Engines:

The seller may have just hooked up the garden hose and when the 'pumped the handle' water flowed through it.

HTH

Thanks for the extra info, it makes a lot of sense.

Gosh that link you posted has expensive stuff! $846!! NNL brewery services can do a reconditioned hand pull (ex CFBS England), when they have them for about $450! http://nnlbrewery.com.au/index.php?main_pa...products_id=425

;)

Not sure that it is actually a pump - look more like a tap for dispensing the modern, carbonated brews from kegs.
The question is mine, I asked another for more clarification.
My sister's fiance (who is from England) would love it as a wedding-gift, I just have to convince her that she needs one.
But there are no bids yet, so hopefully it will stay about that price. ;)

Back