Ebay Esky - 100 Ltr ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguide

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this esky (or one of his similar items) to use as a Mash Tun. The majority of my mashes are single batches although I do the odd double batch.
I would also like to have a go at a Barley Wine, but my current 25 ltr Esky doesn't cut the mustard.

Has anyone used this ones? They are very cheap and I'm not sure what the temp loss is like?

My other concern is given the large width of the Esky my grain bed would suffer when performing smaller batches - is this likely, or am I just being paranoid?

Any other things I should think about before taking the plunge?

Cheers

i have been watching these, they allow local pickup and seem to go quiet cheaply.

im not to keen on the hinges thought, looksa bit flimsy.

I've seen a barley wine made using a 36L Keep Cool Esky, so I don't think you need to go all the way to 100L to achieve what you are planning.

100L is BIG. I do 44L batches and I use a 55L mash tun, which is plenty. With a 100L, you could do what, 80L batches? And remember that too much empty space *will* lead to loss of heat. I would personally advise against it.

Thanks guys. 80L batches, not interested in. Nothing bigger than a 50 ltr will be made at my house - only have a 70 ltr kettle :)

I'll investiate getting a 50-60 ltr instead I think now.

Thanks guys. 80L batches, not interested in. Nothing bigger than a 50 ltr will be made at my house - only have a 70 ltr kettle :)

I'll investiate getting a 50-60 ltr instead I think now.

Hello Zoddy

I purchased two 100L 'Big Chilli Coolers' on eBay about a year ago. I turned one into a miracle box and use the other as an esky.

These eskies are quality built and have an outstanding heat/cold retention.

I agree with the other lads, 100L is well beyond your need. The grain bed would be too shallow and your effeciency and filter bed would be rubbish. One of their 40 or 50L eskies would be ideal.

Their bung is also threaded through the wall, so if you can find a ballvalve or adapter to fit this thread you would be laughing.

Thanks Dicko, my goal is basically to ensure that whatever I buy now will be sufficient for my needs now and moving forward. I'll never do a double barley wine and I'll never do more than a 50 ltr batch.
I batch sparge, and will probably continue to do so or maybe fly sparge one day, so I will never have a need for the entire amount of sparge water to fit in the tun.

Thinking about this now, with everyones input, maybe a 40 would be sufficient?

Zoddy - 55 litre Willow esky. You can take the stock plastic bulkhead out really easily, the existing hole that it leaves is just the right size for a 1/2" bulkhead however you decide to make it, and you can put the original back in if you ever need to. Some Bunnings have a special on right now where you get a 55litre, a 6 pack esky and a drinks cooler thing for $90 (all in the one box). Very simple quick solution, and it's as big as you're ever likely to need.

Thanks domonsura, I'm so glad I asked here before rushing into a 100 ltr mistake.

I did see that the other day Boston. It would make for a good talking point if used for mashing.

Latest posts

Back