Easy Fridge Thermostat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enerjex

Reaction score
Hi all, I just scored a fridge for brewing in and I need to get a thermostat for it. I've looked at the fridgemate and it's instructions and they're beyond me. Are there any good cost effective thermostats that are easy to hook up?

Hi all, I just scored a fridge for brewing in and I need to get a thermostat for it. I've looked at the fridgemate and it's instructions and they're beyond me. Are there any good cost effective thermostats that are easy to hook up?

Enerjex,

They don't come any easier than the Fridgemate. Fill in your location and someone close by may be able to help.

Go the fridgemate. Its very easy to hook up.
The hadest bit is the cut out in the box.

FROGMAN

yeah i was just looking at the instructions again and i wouldn't know what to do with it... my level of electronics expertise is that i could easily wire something up if i knew where everything thing goes, it's just doing the first one that's hard lol

I am in the market for a fridge thermostat as well.

There are two different "Fridgemates" on Mashmaster's site, one comes with a s/s probe ($88) and one doesn't ($47.50). It is actually quite cheaper to buy the latter one and a s/s probe seperatelly since the probe itself is only $25.52. Is there any other difference between the two?

Also, If I was to buy the cheaper unit only, does it come with some other non s/s probe?

arthur

my interpretation of it arthur is that the fridgemate comes with some sort of probe that reads the fridge's internal temp, whereas the optional probe can be mounted into the side of the fermenter to read off beer temperature

That is correct. I have 2 of the cheaper units, and while the probe is encased in stainless, it is not waterproof. The optional probe is waterproof, so it can go directly into the wort. Some people make their own waterproof stainless thermowell to put the cheaper probe into. Apparently old corny keg dip tubes work well for this. I just tape the probe to the side of the fermenter.

There is an alternative.

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Gear/GSanders/fridge.shtml

This is what I'm using. A cheapie timer. It takes a day or two to get the setting right, but once you do it works a treat.

To keep an eye on the temp, I use a cheapie digital thermometer. The probe sits in a PET bottle of water in the fridge door.

I don't think the real controllers are than hard to set up, but I just happened to have the timer and thermometer lying around so I figured I'd try it. Hey, it works!

Thanks for that.

Is there any other difference between the two units?
i believe the more pricey one also has a relay that rated for higher amperage, but I think the cheaper one is more than enough for most home people just running a household fridge off it. I have two of the cheaper ones and they work a treat

Hi Enerjex,
If you are looking for a "plug and play" unit a GROW WARM FAN CONTROLLER is what will do the job.
They are available from most HB shops, (not Brewcraft as far as I know) but just make sure that if you want to control a fridge then the fan controller is what you need.
Grow warm also make a unit to control a heat source as well.
The fan controller will cost you about 90 to 100 buckeroos, It is analogue - not digital, but it works fine.
The fridgemate is a good unit if you can get someone to wire it correctly for you.
Cheers

I am a little confused about these controllers.
if i have a fridge with cyclic defrost will one of these
controllers also controll the defrost timer?
If yes can someone post a wiring diagram to assist in my endevours.

also recently my brewing fridge has started blow the fuse when i plug it in does anyone know what could be wrong with it. it blows the fuse as soon as you plug it in. it hasnt been modified yet and i am wondering if it worth saving.

Thanks guys
Great forum
From Hoolio

I am a little confused about these controllers.
if i have a fridge with cyclic defrost will one of these
controllers also controll the defrost timer?
If yes can someone post a wiring diagram to assist in my endevours.
also recently my brewing fridge has started blow the fuse when i plug it in does anyone know what could be wrong with it. it blows the fuse as soon as you plug it in. it hasnt been modified yet and i am wondering if it worth saving.
Thanks guys
Great forum
From Hoolio

Hoolio, I reckon it sounds like your compressor is shot mate. As for the controllers, the way they work is by turning your fridge on and off to get to the set temp, that's it, you set your fridges thermostat to it's coldest setting. If your fridge makes icecubes and does backflips while it is turned on then it will with the controller running it.

cheers

Browndog

Geoffi - I happen to have an electrical timer and was thinking of trying your method. I was just curious as to how often you set the timer to turn the fridge on and off? I figured if it saved me a day or 2 screwing around with the timing, it was worth asking the question.

I just put a fridgemate together

It's much easier than it looks

Print out the wiring picture in the thread and bring it in to your local electronics store - they'll get you the parts

Then follow the diagram / picture and you'll be fine

If you are concerned put it together and get someone (who know about electronics or has put one together) to check your wiring

cheers

Back