Eagle Bay Brewing Co.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyNova

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls,

While in Eagle Bay and the surrounding area (Southwest WA) over the New Year period I saw a brewery I hadn't seen before - Eagle Bay Brewing Co.

I haven't been out along the Cape Naturliste drive for a couple of years so I'm not sure how new it is, but I think it's pretty recent.

I'll make an effort to check them out next time I'm in the area.

Has anybody tried anything from this place?

http://www.eaglebaybrewing.com.au/

Edit: Just found this bit of extra info. Seems to be a very new venture;

Eagle Bay Brewing Company opened early in December (2010 i'd assume as this info dated 1/01/2011) near Eagle Bay in the south-west of the state, between the town of Dunsborough and the tourist-attracting Cape Naturaliste lighthouse. This brewery and eatery was established by the dEspeissis family on their rural property. Sydneysiders will know that one of the family, Nick, was a founding partner and brewer at the 4 Pines Brewery, which opened at Manly in 2008.

Yeah i was there yesterday as part of my down south brewery tour.
I dont know how, but i managed to convince the GF that it would be a great theme for a holiday in the south west. :)

Their beers a fantastic. Had all 6 that they were offering and they were all winners.
I am not that much of a german style buff, but their Kolsh was thoroughly enjoyed.

The Pale Ale and ESB were my favourite. I think its the malt that makes the beers stand out. Their Mild Ale is very similar to Rogers, maybe even better. Again i think its the malt flavour that makes it stand out.

The brewer is a real nice guy and gave me a tour of his brewery, which was an added bonus.

They currently operate on a restaurant licence so you have to get a meal with beer. They are trying to get the liquor without a meal permit as well but im not sure when that will go through. Their food was excellent so its not really an issue.

The location, like most places in the south west, is beautiful. They have floor to ceiling windows which overlook the estate.

The brewer also told me that they are looking to start bottling their beer by December, hopefully to distribute rather than just sell on premises.

Oh and they are the only brewery that does not offer taste trays, which was so unfortunate because it meant that i had to get a glass of every one of their 6 delicious beers. B)

Oh and they also make wine as well, which they sell on site, so there is something to keep the GF occupied. Tell her its winery and pretend to be surprised when you see all the beers on tap...probably wont work but maybe worth a try.

After a rough 4 days of visiting all the breweries in the south west, i have to say that Eagle Bay takes the trophy.

Mate

I went there a while back just when they opened.

But like you say you need to buy a meal with your drinks. And we had just finished lunch. But they were nice enough to give us a small glass of each of there beers for us to try. They were top beers and i look forward to going back there for lunch and beers to return the favor.

I got to speak to the brewer and drink their beer at the Perth food and wine fest. I agree, great bloke. I only tried the kolsh and vienna, and I never got back to try the pale, but they were definitely of a high standard. I hope they do well.

All good to hear!

Still haven't been there myself, but it just jumped a few spots up the list of places to try. Will make an effort to drop in next time I'm down there.

I went there a while back just when they opened.

But like you say you need to buy a meal with your drinks. And we had just finished lunch. But they were nice enough to give us a small glass of each of there beers for us to try. They were top beers and i look forward to going back there for lunch and beers to return the favor.

Yeah we made exactly the same mistake, ate just before heading there, and therefore couldnt taste the beers, so will keep that in mind next time. awesome set-up but, man i love that margeret river region, so many breweries!!

They wouldn't even give us a look-in. Admittedly they were full as it was the Leeuwin weekend and they were flat out, but a little politeness would have got us back.

They wouldn't even give us a look-in. Admittedly they were full as it was the Leeuwin weekend and they were flat out, but a little politeness would have got us back.

That sucks a bit! Must be a bit annoying that their licence only allows a drink with food - so I guess if the tables are full then you can't have a beer there. I wonder if they are working on getting it so they can just serve you a pint.

Back