Dunkle Directions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mullet

Reaction score
Ok, some time ago I did a kit and kilo dunkle that turned out a treat. I was going to do it again but my brew notes were apparently not very good and I didn't keep notes on steeping, sparging and hops (you know, the small stuff! <_< .

Hence I seek the sage guidance of the list. The brew was made up of;
Coopers Malt Extract Wheat
500g Cracked Weyerman Munich type 1
225g Cracked Weyerman CaraMunich II
42g Cracked Maltcraft roasted wheat
28g New Zealand Hallenbrau Hops
Wyeast yeast bag (this time I'll use T58 from BYOAH)

I remember steeping and sparging the grains the putting the wort on the rolling boil, at that point I added a part of the hops and then at flame out I added the rest. It turned out to be a very tasty Erdinger-esque beer and was consumed with much enjoyment...

Can someone please recommend a process for this?Bueller? :unsure:

With munich in there you are going to need to do a mini-mash.
Put your grains into water, about 2 - 2.5l per kg at around 70C.
Leave them there for 30-45 minutes, preferably ensuring that the temp stays up around there, without going much higher or lower.
There are much more precise ways to do a mash but for a mini I always found this good enough.

You need to boil this so add most of your hops, or even all, once it is boiling and keep boiling for 45-60 minutes. If you want keep 10-15g for putting in with 15min remaining.
Add the kit when you want to. I used to do it at 10 minutes to boil it a little but people debate the need for that...

Do use a wheat yeast such as wyeast or wb06 or the new dried munich wheat.
t58 won't give you the same erdinger flavours.

With munich in there you are going to need to do a mini-mash.
Put your grains into water, about 2 - 2.5l per kg at around 70C.
Leave them there for 30-45 minutes, preferably ensuring that the temp stays up around there, without going much higher or lower.
There are much more precise ways to do a mash but for a mini I always found this good enough.

You need to boil this so add most of your hops, or even all, once it is boiling and keep boiling for 45-60 minutes. If you want keep 10-15g for putting in with 15min remaining.
Add the kit when you want to. I used to do it at 10 minutes to boil it a little but people debate the need for that...

Do use a wheat yeast such as wyeast or wb06 or the new dried munich wheat.
t58 won't give you the same erdinger flavours.

Thanks for that. I found some directions from Weissguy while I was digging around the other day and he pretty much says the same, so two beer gods offering the same advice is good enough for me! :party:

I'll check out the yeast situation. I put down a Coopers Pale on Saturday so the Dunkle will be waiting a week or three yet. <_<

Cheers!
Brendo

Back