Dummies guide to kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB said:
good idea, is there a popular source where people get their replacement seals from?
sorry if double post mobile site is playing up. Try fleabay. I paid about $7 for new orings, spring seals, silicone big oring.

I will add if you go down the splitter line (my next system will be manifold FTR), the on-off style ones that connect to each other are great, as opposed to T-splitters Imo.

Others have covered it pretty well my 0.02; check valve to your reg is a must, replace all the o-rings a kit is cheap as via eBay ~ $10, I have valpar flex master II (5mm) line and recommend it (have tried another more flexible 5mm line but prefer the sturdiness and ease of clean of the flex master).

I have a dual reg (can set at two different pressures) so only have one gas disconnect on each but I also don't keep my gas connected the whole time, even though I have no leaks I am paranoid that if one develops I'd lose my whole bottle. So I connect the gas disconnect to the keg, turn on the gas until the reg stops humming, turn off the gas and remove the disconnect; I may do that a couple times a day for a week or more but saves on gas and after a bit of practice you can dial in appropriate carbonation levels/ reg set. Use either the crimp or worm clamp type- both all good.

Manifolds are good because you can add a length of tube to one and leave open ended for flushing out vessels (bottles/fv/) where oxygen is the enemy but beware of leaks- test everything (hookup and spray all fittings with star san) and contact supplier asap if any detected.

A couple extra liquid disconnects are also good- you can make up a fermenter tap to liquid post connection for filling the keg (and purge kegs with CO2 prior to filling).

:beer:

SBOB said:
Im in Newcastle
Doesnt seem like the guy had NRV's or a splitter so might start google/ebay searching for those
Have you been to a hunter United Brewers club meeting yet? We meet at Hamilton north bowling club on the third Friday of each month, next meeting is the 19th August at 630pm, should be plenty of guys that can help you out there.

Apologies if you are already a member and I don't know your forum name

FWIW cb seems to charge 3-4 times what anyone else charges for Valpar and that can really add up. Worth doing a google search.

EDIT: Scrap that, I was looking at brewmaster vs flexmaster

jimmy_jangles said:
Have you been to a hunter United Brewers club meeting yet? We meet at Hamilton north bowling club on the third Friday of each month, next meeting is the 19th August at 630pm, should be plenty of guys that can help you out there.
Apologies if you are already a member and I don't know your forum name
Hi, no apologies needed as no, never been to one. Might be worth a visit

manticle said:
Isn't brewman in newcastle?
yep, the best.
SBOB said:
Hi, no apologies needed as no, never been to one. Might be worth a visit
ive been only to one (work and newborn have stalled my life atm.) and the boys we really inviting and plenty of tasty beers getting passed around. well worth getting down to the bowlo for a meeting. ill be back soon enough.

Back