Duck Inn & Kitchen Chippendale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Seems no-one has reviewed this place.
Went here http://theduckinnpubandkitchen.wordpress.com/ last night. ( A Thursday)

Range of beers on tap was pretty good, including, but not limited to;
Vale Ale
Vale Lager
Rocks Lager
Lord Nelson Royal Red
Coopers Pale

They were the ones I had. There were also two ciders on tap - the Pimpsqueak was on hand pump. Usual CD and other on tap, quite a range of bottled beer and the wine menu looks strong. They fancy themselves as a Whiskey place too.

The review-
My wife had the Pimpsqueak which was extremely flat. Flatter than I would have expected, even on hand pump. Looked cool being poured though.

The Rocks Lager was also under carbed. I asked the barmaid where it came from - Harts she said, so I am assuming Scotty ///. I wonder if he designed it to be that low on carb? The roastiness in it was interesting. Not what I expected, but IMO would have been better with a bit more life in the glass. Almost tasted like a baby bock.

Vale Ale and Vale Lager were both great. Both very fresh and aromatic. Vale Ale in particular had that signature C hop that I love in an APA. I know they call it an Australian Pale Ale - but its an American for sure.

Coopers Pale needs no review.

Lord Nelson Royal Red. Great whack of crystal malt flavour. Low on hops and carb. Nice English Mild, with a slight spice in the finish. Very nice indeed.

All these beers were $7 to $8.50 per schooner. Did have an issue when I gave over $7 for a beer and she said it was $7.50. I pointed to the board and she said "Thats wrong, and changed it". All in good spirits though.

Food was OK. I had the Cowra Lamb, which wasnt cooked hot enough. The meat was done, medium rare as it should be, but lamb needs those burnt edges, to properly retain the smokey BBQ flavours. My wife had the Beetroot salad which she said was also OK. Bread starter was nice with Olive oil and Balsamic.

We did have a pretty useless waiter. After getting our menus we sat around waiting to order. I eventually went to the counter thinking we must order there and he told me to go back to the table, he would come. He didnt and our order was taken by another waitress. After the meal, I asked the original guy for the bill and he said he'd bring it over, but forgot that too. Asked the waitress and she grabbed it for me. Nearly choked! $158. Realised she'd given me the wrong bill. $52 for what we had.

Conclusion-
Beer list pretty good, food OK. Bar staff good, restaurant staff average.
I'm not saying this is a bad pub, but with so much competition in this bracket, I will continue trying new places.
Overall the dining brought the score down. If they had great food and wait staff, this place would be a 7.5 to 8

6/10.
mckenry

I work in walking distance from this pub and have been meaning to check it out....

But after that review I don't think Ill hurry.

The rose hotel http://www.therosehotel.com.au is just around the corner and should be worth checking out as an alternative

joshuahardie said:
I work in walking distance from this pub and have been meaning to check it out....

But after that review I don't think Ill hurry.

The rose hotel http://www.therosehotel.com.au is just around the corner and should be worth checking out as an alternative
Yep, been to the Rose. It's def better.

:icon_offtopic: You're a long commuter too then?

Afraid so.
Gosford to Central.

3 hours of my life wasted each day.

joshuahardie said:
Afraid so.
Gosford to Central.

3 hours of my life wasted each day.
Bowral to West Ryde was wasting up to 4 hrs a day. Driving too. Public transport impossibly slow. Now have a studio in Glebe for a couple of nights a week. Some good pubs to check out i the inner west.

I too work within walking distance of those pubs, so we do occasionally have soiree's there. :)

I loved the Duck before they renovated it, (it used to be called The duck and swan) it felt like you were drinking in someones backyard. Now it feels like a weird beach house out the back.

Same goes with the Rose. A decade ago they had a bocce pit, a cockatoo in a cage and ramshackle furniture out in the beer garden. Now it's all swanked up and it fills up with suits after 5pm.

On the plus side they do at least have some decent beers on tap now.

Latest posts

Back