dry yeast rehydrating tip - avoid yeast clumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

i read a trick (on another unnamed forum! :ph34r:) and wanted to share it.

i usually rehydrate my dry yeast into a 500ml glass jug thing, and i often get yeast clumping up. try rehydrating into a zip lock sandwich bag instead, after spraying it and sanitising it with starsan of course. this allows you to feel the clumps and press onto them from the outside of the bag to get them out, without needing to actually touch the yeast with anything. when you're done, you can cut a corner of the bag off and simply pour straight into the fermenter :)

the wider the jug the less likely you will need to worry, got me thinkin.....

that sounds like a neat way to re-hydrate, simple and cost effective

FWIW - I add dry yeast to 200mls of water ( @ 27c ) into the top of the elenmyer flask and let it rest for 30 mins. Then I turn on the stirplate for another 20 mins and the white liquid forms without lumps and is ready to pitch.

isnt the rule of thumb (and suggested by most manufacturers) 10 x it's own weight (110ml) @ the temperature recommended by the manufacturer?

I noticed in Coles they have these new Pyrex 500 ml jugs that are quite wide at the base, greater surface area and look perfect for the job

:icon_cheers:

I use one of these little glass jars and lid which I boil first and then let cool with water in it.

I put the lid on and swirl - maybe even shake a little. No lumps.

375162035_ad3718650d_o.jpg

sanitized coffee mug half filled with cooled boiled water and stir until disolved works for me, although it's nice to see a new method being shared.

@ Andrew qld, same here. Coffee mug, chilled boiled water, stir with sanitized spoon, same I do when baking, never had an issue. I just stir before adding, and add slow. Good thinking though. Will keep this in mind. Throw the zippie in when I'm sanitizing my fermenter and other.equip on brew day, sounds nice and easy.

Actually thinking now, a sanitised jar with a lid that can be shaken, oxygenated at the same time might work....?

Pickaxe said:
Guess thats a question too, don't yeast need oxygen?
No, not when you are just rehydrating, as against making a starter.

I used the instructions for Notto properly for the first time a few days back including getting the water to 30 - no stirring at first (makes the point in capitals not to stir). Came back after 15 minutes and it had risen on top of the water like bread.

Also preheated the no chill cubes to 22 and then set the STC to 18. Came back like 5 hours later and it's started bubbling vigorously, probably 3 times quicker than usual for me. :huh:

yeah, I don't aerate it in the jar necessarily - just a swirl to mix it together.

I might give it a shake immediately when I pitch though. :)

Logman said:
I used the instructions for Notto properly for the first time a few days back including getting the water to 30 - no stirring at first (makes the point in capitals not to stir). Came back after 15 minutes and it had risen on top of the water like bread.

Also preheated the no chill cubes to 22 and then set the STC to 18. Came back like 5 hours later and it's started bubbling vigorously, probably 3 times quicker than usual for me. :huh:
BRY-97 has pretty complex re-hydration instructions. But I was reminded how simple in comparison the instructions are for US-05 when I pitched some on Wednesday.

The pack simply says: Pitching: Sprinkle into wort

Sometimes re-hydration is over-rated!

US-05 Website.JPG

So your rehydrating tip is to not rehydrate?

Before we start another whole "sprinkle VS hydrate" thing.
  • Hydrate = healthier fermentation
  • Sprinkle = faster and easier
Aaand argument over.

slash22000 said:
Before we start another whole "sprinkle VS hydrate" thing.
  • Hydrate = healthier fermentation
  • Sprinkle = faster and easier
Aaand argument over.
Wrong.

If you don't rehydrate exactly as per the manufacturer's directions (not How To Brew's, not some bloke on AHB's) then you are much better off simply sprinkling.

I think I remember seeing rehydration instructions on the back of a pack of us05!?

Oh well, it's a Pyrex half litre jug, warm water, swirl a little and cling wrap the top, leave it alone for 5-10 and pitch. No clumps or whatever, last yeast was bry-97.

PS: will try the full half hour next time.

yeah i use a 500mL pyrex jug too but always had clumps. perhaps it was my way of doing it. i just found this method worked equally as well, even in line with the manufacturer's instructions. i personally didn't like the idea of touching it, even with a sanitised spoon etc so preferred this way. YMMV

Back