Dry Stout recipe tweak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfWit

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to brew the dry stout in Brewing Classic Styles...

OG 1.042
IBU 41
English Pale malt 63%
Flaked barley 25%
Roast barely 12%
Carb 1-1.5 volumes
Serve temp 12C

The thing is I will be serving the beer at 6C and I'd carb it to 2 volumes. Should I adjust the bitterness or any of the grains to accommodate the changes?

I wouldn't change the recipe, I'd just serve it colder and let it warm up in the glass, I'd stick with the lower carbonation as well, is there a reason you want to carb above the recipes suggested 1-1.5 vol?

HalfWit said:
Hi, I'm looking to brew the dry stout in Brewing Classic Styles...

OG 1.042
IBU 41
English Pale malt 63%
Flaked barley 25%
Roast barely 12%
Carb 1-1.5 volumes
Serve temp 12C

The thing is I will be serving the beer at 6C and I'd carb it to 2 volumes. Should I adjust the bitterness or any of the grains to accommodate the changes?
FWIW I'd drop the roast barley back to 10% of the grist. I find any more than 10% gives you an astringent and ashy flavoured beer, which isn't characteristic of a dry stout. A dry stout should be an easy drinking beer, which you should be able to have a few of in a row without feeling overwhelmed by roast grains and rich flavours.

IMHO the best dry stout recipe is:
70% maris otter
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley

EKG to about 35-40 IBUs.

I also wouldn't carb above 1.5 volumes. The carbonic acid which will come from the higher carbonation levels will also affect the flavour of the final product (bitterness etc).

Serving it at 6 degrees isn't quite to style, but if you carbonate to the correct level you still will have a very sessionable stout.

My 2 bob.

JD

Thanks guys, I will give the low carb level another go, and lower the Roast and flaked barley levels. I'm a bit of a hop head, should I restrain from a late addition of EKG. If not how much would be appropriate?

HalfWit said:
Thanks guys, I will give the low carb level another go, and lower the Roast and flaked barley levels. I'm a bit of a hop head, should I restrain from a late addition of EKG. If not how much would be appropriate?
A traditional dry stout should have bugger all hop flavour and aroma.

If you're a hop head why not brew a beer which is meant to have lots of hops in it and leave the stout as is?

JD

Okay, no late addition. I have Cascade in the freezer but is it worth getting some EKG?

Any type of Goldings (EKG, first gold, etc), target, fuggles, challenger. Any of these will be good

Latest posts

Back