Dry Or Liquid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a partial brewer, I recently made a big hoppy IPA. Mini mash in the oven, then bumped up with a good bit of extract - all liquid.

The hop character is just what I wanted but it has the dreaded extract twang right up the front.

I'm aware of being careful with the age of liquid extract, but on the whole which extract a better option in terms of flavour quality and avoiding the dreaded twang - dry or fresh liquid??

Are there particular brands which people have had particulary good experiences with or especially poor results from?

Cheers

Kev

Always tasted it doing extract,no matter how fresh,what brand.As I added more grains or dried malt extract found it got better.

The best I found was using a mixture of dried malt extract and grains.Leave the tins on the shelf and hop it yourself.

Although I did get one 28kg tin of unhopped liquid malt extract,that made some fantastic brews

Forum user DeeBee (WA dude) was the extract king over here for a while. I think his advice was to let it sit on the yeast cake for quite a while after the beer was finished, let the yeast do all the clean up work and get those last1 or 2 pts. I don't recall the whole details, maybe ping him a PM

Latest posts

Back