Dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chull

Reaction score
Got below in the fv at the moment, have 50g x Amarillo & 50g x Mosaic to dry hop with, should use the lot?

1 x Coopers Pale Ale
1 x Morgan’s Blue Mountain lager
1kg x LDME
600g x Dex
400g x Maltodex
Kit yeast x 2
OG 1.074

One tip for future reference, the amount ingredients you add is important, the amount of water or what you have made it up to is just as important. The numbers say you have made it up to just under 19L. Or if it’s a "standard" 23L you haven’t really mixed it properly.

On how much hops to use, that’s a bit like how much salt and pepper should you put on a cheese and tomato toasty - it’s down to personal taste, if you like lots of hops, go for it.
Good to remember its easier to add more later than it is to pick it out if you have added too much...
Not trying to be obtuse it’s just that it’s a very open ended question, BML contains a fair wack of Hall Oil which gives it a reasonable amount of hop aroma, it’s a light delicate typical German lager smell.
Mark

One tip for future reference, the amount ingredients you add is important, the amount of water or what you have made it up to is just as important. The numbers say you have made it up to just under 19L. Or if it’s a "standard" 23L you haven’t really mixed it properly.

On how much hops to use, that’s a bit like how much salt and pepper should you put on a cheese and tomato toasty - it’s down to personal taste, if you like lots of hops, go for it.
Good to remember its easier to add more later than it is to pick it out if you have added too much...
Not trying to be obtuse it’s just that it’s a very open ended question, BML contains a fair wack of Hall Oil which gives it a reasonable amount of hop aroma, it’s a light delicate typical German lager smell.
Mark
Sorry mate, it was 20L
I do like a hoppy beer so I guess I’ll chuck em all in.
Thanks for your input mate.

I probably would too!
I made a slight miscalculation, the SG is about right - ran out of fingers
Mark

Thanks mate, any thoughts on what day to dry hop or what SG?

probably about half way through, your yeast is a bit (big bit) on the light side so probably be 4-5 days in.
Again lots of personal taste involved in that decision, you might have to do a couple of brews and try different things
Mark

probably about half way through, your yeast is a bit (big bit) on the light side so probably be 4-5 days in.
Again lots of personal taste involved in that decision, you might have to do a couple of brews and try different things
Mark
Hi Mark, I'm finding that my tastes in beer have expanded. Your not going to believe this but I love my Lawn Mower Lagers and really like them as a session beer but of late I have found that I like the odd pint of a really hop flavoured beer like Hop Hog and a couple of really strong Hop "Citrusy flavoured" beers from a couple of our Margaret River Region Breweries. So I had a rush of Blood and bought 500 grams of Au Cascade Hops, 500 grams of Citra hops and 500 grams of Sazz hops. (all pellets). Now my question for you (and anyone else who might know of good combinations) is what kind of proportions of these hops could I add to a standard kit brew, say Coopers Pale Ale, that would give me the same hop intensities as a hop hog or the like. I'm not looking for a clone I just want to make sure I don't over or under hop and I don't want it too bitter either. I know this is a big ask but a ball park suggestion would save me stuffing my first batch up.
Also I was wondering if it could be brewed as I would brew a lager with 34/70 yeast? I ask this because I have made a few ales with the generic yeast that come with the kits and I don't like the flavours they impart, yet when I brewed the Pale Ale with WLP 800 as a Lager the flavour, for me, was great. I am now using 34/70 yeast with my lagers and that is a nice finish, Hence my question if I can brew a good hoppy beer as a lager process?

Back