Dry hopping - magnet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trenta

Reaction score
Hi
I am keen to take the next step and try dry hopping in my fermzilla all rounder. What do you use as a magnet and in particular what do you use inside the fermzilla. Some links would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I use a fairly open mesh bag, cable tied shut. Magnet inside I use a sous vide magnet these are covered with food grade silicone on the outside. I just sanitise the magnet with starsan.
Outside I use a magnet salvaged from a hard disk drive.
Food shops/ kitchen supplies for sous vide or aliexpress. Disk drive magnet I got from a scrap merchants.

Stir plate magnets are very available and Teflon coated, plenty on eBay if your local HBS can’t get you one.
Mark

PS
Don’t put the shiny little rare earth magnets in the brew, they are Nickel plated and Nickel is a very toxic and cumulative poison.
M

Before the sous vide magnet I used to vacuum seal the magnet ( ferrous only ) and use that inside the hop bag. The sous vide magnet is much more robust though.

I use an allrounder and have only recently started doing this, third brew now. I like convenience so I simply purchased a dry hop pack Dry Hopping Magnet And Bag Pack » Aussie Brewmakers. So far so good.

I also got some great feedback on this forum so I enclose my magnet in a small sanitised clip lock plastic bag.
Thanks mate. Just purchased one. What's the reason behind putting the magnet in the zip lock bag?

His magnets probably aren’t coated with an inert plastic, so he puts them in a bag to stop the acidic beer dissolving the nickel and poisoning people.
The ones you have will be fine out of a zip lock, just put them in the hop bag with the hops.
Mark

His magnets probably aren’t coated with an inert plastic, so he puts them in a bag to stop the acidic beer dissolving the nickel and poisoning people.
The ones you have will be fine out of a zip lock, just put them in the hop bag with the hops.
Mark
I bought the same set he has

In that case I have no idea why he puts his magnet in a zip-lock bag!
Mark

Latest posts

Back