Dry Hop Keg Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Reaction score
Gang,

Been on holidays the last week or so and I got home to pull a Pint of an APA that was tasting fantastic.......

But when I poured - result was a shite load of foam.....mmmm check my taps all good......remembering I dry hopped this keg with a plug of cascade in a hop bag I preceeded to pull the diptube out of the keg, and it was clogged with hop flowers......DOH !!..

Any thoughts and how I can rescue this tasty brew would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
JSB

May have to syphon it out of the keg and into another... filtering out the hops?

If you don't have a keg syphon it into another vessel, clean up the clogged keg, then refill it.

JSB said:
......remembering I dry hopped this keg with a plug of cascade in a hop bag I preceeded to pull the diptube out of the keg, and it was clogged with hop flowers......DOH !!..
[post="100348"][/post]​
Sorry to get OT, but did the hop bag break or untie or what?

JSB,
Hafd that happen to me once too. Easiest way to fix it would be to clean the dip tube and try again. If that doesn't work...take the keg out of the fridge. Let it WARM-UP. Release as much pressure as you can and then transfer.
Dont try to transfer cold or carbonated as it WILL make a big mess.
The worst rhing you could do is try to pout it from one container to another (Believe me I know 8()
cheers
Darren

Why cant you just rinse all the hops from the dip tube & be done? Id also clean out the post & poppet while ya at it.

Id imagine to block the tube would take most of 1 plug so you shouldnt have it block up again. Alternatively you could nip a few mm off the end of the tube.

KillerRx4 said:
Why cant you just rinse all the hops from the dip tube & be done? Id also clean out the post & poppet while ya at it.

Id imagine to block the tube would take most of 1 plug so you shouldnt have it block up again. Alternatively you could nip a few mm off the end of the tube.
[post="100370"][/post]​

Only takes one little leaf to block a dip tube... Even pellets will block them...

cheers Ross

Cutting the dip-tube must have to one of the craziest things I have ever heard. The person who started should be spanked severely! All it does is give you less beer to drink.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
If that doesn't work...take the keg out of the fridge. Let it WARM-UP. Release as much pressure as you can and then transfer.
Dont try to transfer cold or carbonated as it WILL make a big mess.
The worst rhing you could do is try to pout it from one container to another (Believe me I know 8()
cheers
Darren
[post="100360"][/post]​

Darren,

I've transferred a few kegs when cold & yes it is difficult - but hadn't realised warming them first would cure the problem, as had always been led to believe that the colder the better for transferring (which is what I've found from filling bottles from a keg). Does warming the keg first really help? Could be a godsend if it does....

cheers Ross

My only thought as to why warming helps is that it release more of the dissolved CO2 (ie colder the keg is the more CO2 can be dissolved in solution)
Is foaming your problem Ross?

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
My only thought as to why warming helps is that it release more of the dissolved CO2 (ie colder the keg is the more CO2 can be dissolved in solution)
Is foaming your problem Ross?
[post="100393"][/post]​
I'd imagine there's a pretty good chance that warming the keg up (with the resulting CO2 coming out of solution) would result in the offending hops floating to the surface of the beer again, too.

Darren said:
Cutting the dip-tube must have to one of the craziest things I have ever heard. The person who started should be spanked severely! All it does is give you less beer to drink.
cheers
Darren
[post="100384"][/post]​

Damn i better go put my dunces cap on & drink in the corner :ph34r: :p

KillerRx4 said:
Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="100384"][/post]​

[post="100412"][/post]​

Do you think cutting the tube helped?

KillerRx4 said:

I think Darren means the first person who EVER advised it.

Latest posts

Back