Dry Hop For 10 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viligar

Reaction score
hey guys, so basically made a brew up last thursday and chucked the hops in on monday. From most stuff i have read i should leave it in primary for 14 days, but considering i have dry hopped. should the hops stay in for 10 days? or will that make a overpowering hoppyness? Thanks in advance for any help!

hey guys, so basically made a brew up last thursday and chucked the hops in on monday. From most stuff i have read i should leave it in primary for 14 days, but considering i have dry hopped. should the hops stay in for 10 days? or will that make a overpowering hoppyness? Thanks in advance for any help!

As long as you have no put in too many hops no problems. I've added hops on the day I pitched yeast for an experiment, and no real issues. Also since I reuse my yeast cake many times without washing it hops may end up in there for a couple of months. Sounds wrong, but tastes great. If you added 2g/L hops you may not be as happy.

QldKev

added 15G for dry hopping to 23L, so i might not be as happy. lol

assuming its an all grain ale and assuming it was fermented within the yeast temp range you picked about the right time to dry hop, check the gravity if its ok and given above it should be, crash chill till the weekend and get it off those hops.

K

Usually dry hop happens after primary fermentation. Not so much because of too long (although too long with some hops can result in grassiness or vegetal flavour) but because active fermentation may drive off a lot of the volatiles and therefore the hop aroma you are trying to add back in is disappearing.

Your best instrument in terms of hop flavour is going to be your palate - if you have the hoppiness you want AND if your fermentation is finished properly (and extra time given for the yeast to clean its byproducts) then forget 10 days/14days/whatever days.

<p> the beer was a partial extract, the FG is about .01 off what it should be (roughly) so i was thinking leave for a few days let yeast clear up and then bottle it up probably monday or tuesday. which is 12 days since i pitched the yeast.</p>

Back