Dry enzyme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronic

Reaction score
Will adding this affect the hydrometer reading at the end of the brew?

The hydrometer reading will be different yes. It will read lower, because the enzyme will help lower the FG of the brew, resulting in a higher alcohol content with less residual sugar.

If you're asking the the reading will be false then the answer is no.

Yes... The hydro reading will be lower as the enzyme makes the wort more fermentable (i.e. drier).

Had -0.001 once when I used fungal amalayse, got the fella i worked with all stressed!

Never used it myself, can you stop it where you want it? Cold condition or filter it out?

Hmmmm, might have to do a bit of reading up

Cheers how much lower should it b roughly???Was a 23lt batch

/// said:
Had -0.001 once when I used fungal amalayse, got the fella i worked with all stressed!
Negative density. Your should consult your friendly local physicist.

The interesting thing is, a reading of 1.000 doesn't mean there is no sugar left in the liquid.
Alcohol has a density less than that of water, and in a 5% abw beer a hydro reading of 1.000 means you have roughly 2.6 g of sugar in 100 g of beer.

Kronic, I don't think anyone can safely say. Once you get the same reading over 3 consecutive days it's probably done.

Per Treefiddy, check your grav's over a few days. We never noticed any change in ferment time, just that it went very very low on SG....

Latest posts

Back