Dry Enzyme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianjthorpe

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well my second brew (K&E JS Golden Ale Clone) is fermenting away nicely at 22C. Would like to get it down to 20, but it is pretty bloody hot here in Radelaide today. Anyway, that's a bit off the topic.

My question is: What has been your experience using dry enzyme? I am relatively new to HB and have not come across this additive before. :unsure:

I found the following recipe for Canadian Blonde, at another HB website:

Canadian Blonde

1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde
300g Light Dry Malt Extract
650g Dextrose
10g Saaz Hop Pellets (finishing)
1 Pkt Brewcraft Dry Enzyme
1 Pkt Coopers Ale Yeast (from the kit)
Bottle Conditioning----4 weeks (min)

I'd like to try this brew, but I am a bit hesitant to use the dry enzyme without a bit of research first. I hope to hear from those senior brewers soon.

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

IIRC enzymes are used to really dry out the beer. What it is is actually amylase, the same enzyme in your saliva that converts carbohydrates into sugar. This actually provides more sugar for your yeasts and helps in some way your fermentation process. But what it does also is it decreases the malt profile and flavour and you end up with a really low FG, which is in style with a Canadian blonde.
In a crude way, the lower the FG the smaller the flavour of the beer and with a blonde beer thats basically it. A crisp dry finish with low malt profile. Do make sure your fermentation is completed by taking your readings before you bottle as enzymes tend to keep working until they have nothing to work on. In case of bottle bombs that is.

I personally use only nutrients as they keep my yeasts healthy and happy. You might like to consider this alternative which is what i enjoy using
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15

+1 to what enuun said, just started drinking a batch of alleged corona clone from a brewcraft kit which came with the dry enzyme & the taste is very thin with only a hint of the malt in the background. Not an overly bad final result, still drinkable just feels like a waste of time and effort

Probably wouldn't use it again given the end result :icon_cheers:

Tidalpete loves this stuff, he got me a couple of packets but I didn't like it at all. I just mash lower and have no trouble making my dry beers, it'll give you a whacking hangover as well.

Batz

I just made a Canadian Blonde receipe that I got from LHBS in a K&k.

I used a Bacchus and Barley Alaskan Ice Beer Kit with 750g Dextrose and 250g Powdered Corn Syrup with the Dry Enzyme.

SG was 1034 and FG was 996.

I filtered it and it came out absolutely crystal clear. It looks comercial quality. Sparkling clean, really white head and nice light coloured amber.

Although it is a nice beer if I was a wine drinker I would call it a quaffer.

It is quite watery, and doesn't have a lot of flavour. To combat this I have been pouring into pint glasses and absolutely smashing it down.

Trying to do an impersonation of the the Solo Man ads for TV.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it and I'm sure all my mates would love it I just can't explain why I'm disappointed with it.

Probably just comes down to lack of flavour.

Brewjohno.

G'day Brewers,

Thanks for the rapid responses!

I don't like using foreign additives in my food and like my beer at least a bit malty. So maybe I'll give ennun's Wyeast Nutrient Blend a go. I do have a question on its use though. The Wyeast website recommends adding this nutrient 10-15 mins before the end of boil, which is fine is you're doing a grain mash, but I am a novice and am only using K&E kits.

Do I just add it as part of my LME/DME malt mix while it's warm, before I blend it with the cool water?

Also, since I live in Radelaide, is there a local stockist of the Wyeast brew gear?

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Back