Dry And Wet Roasting Your Own Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may be the cause of your steaming problems - I reckon I roasted about 0.5kg of malt (dry weight) in each tray. The thermal requirements of 3kg of wet grain would be significant, and you would have trouble avoiding hot spots. Perhaps try another small batch and see how you go... ?

Deep Copper malt was the dry roast. The wet was less because it increased dramatically in volume when soaked compare to the dry. I'm sure I'll give wet a go again, I'm on a roasting kick so I might use up the rest of the opened sack and do all the roast points as I have so many more unopened sacks I can spare it. I have all the roasting notes on the sealed bags so I can repeat and refill to try a different blending rate on some more batches of beers.

I'd love to give thirsty's pillow case a go except I have to buy a dryer first :p but it's a good idea and reminds me of the "home dry cleaning kit" of clothes and chemicals in a bag and then in the dryer to work it.

Wife came home and smelled a house infused with roasted malt and said it smelled so good and wanted to know where all the fresh baked food was so I've an idea to roast malt the day before selling a house instead of bread to improve sales :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Beechwood chips turned up a couple of weeks ago, so I used some to smoked 3Kg of Galaxy malt in my Ugly Drum Smoker. Same method, soaked in tank water for 20 min hung up to dry the surface moisture and then into the smoker at around 200deg until dried. Put the malt in large Glad Bake foil trays with holes punched through the bottom and turned each 20 min. As some others found there was a slight problem with the grain taking a while to dry and steam being produced. Left to air dry in a large strainer for 4 days until good and dry before storing. The malt smells and tastes beautiful. Cant wait for a chance to use it now.

Screwy

:icon_drool2:

nothing need more be said, sounds yum!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Digging up another old thread.

Currently have ~1kg of home made crystal in the oven at 180, might just go and bump that up to 190....

glad i forgot to up it to 190, here is a before and after pic...

Is there anyway to gustimate linter?

IMG_1541.JPG

Lintner is used to measure diastatic power (crystal has none as it's roasted at 180c) so I'm assuming you mean lovibond yeah?
Here is a post from another thread you might find useful.

Not For Horses said:
I do a colour test on my malts as follows:
You will need a precise scale and a calculator that has the "x root of y" function.

Steep 20g of test malt finely ground in 500ml of 80c water for 15 minutes, swirling occasionally.

Allow particles to settle out (15 minutes should suffice) and transfer small amount into 50mm diameter sight glass and note the resulting colour against an SRM colour chart.

Plug your numbers into this equation:
Where M=Malt colour in Lovibond & SRM= Measured colour of sample

M = [ 0.6859th root (SRM / 1.4922) ] / 0.333817

For example, I just recently did a colour test of some roasted barley which I estimate from previous batches to be 350L.
The colour I observed in the sight glass was SRM 40.

Plugging back into the equation gives

M = [0.6859th root (40 / 1.4922) ] / 0.333817 = 360L.

I was reasonably happy to be within 3% of the estimated colour.

While setting up my Sous Vide roast in the slow cooker (thank you STC-1000) I thought...

might as well try some diy crystal....

Its @ 65c for a long long time..........

nothing venture nothing gained.

2014-04-24 19.46.11.jpg

15hrs of slow cooking in the sous vide, the grains are nice and sweet.

Time to dry them in the oven with the door ajar for a few hrs.

2014-04-24 19.46.11.jpg2014-04-25 12.35.30.jpg2014-04-25 12.35.47.jpg2014-04-25 12.38.20.jpg2014-04-25 12.40.13.jpg

Back