Dripping Perlick's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabond

Reaction score
Hi I replaced my taps with Perlicks 9 months ago working fine until recently when I noticed that they would drip if I disconected the gas over night, I would come back in the morning and the drip tray would be full, so I disconnected the beer lines released the pressure in the line but they still drip, if I bump the serving pressure to 15 psi they stop dripping, I have cleaned out both taps, inspected seals ect, do they need constant pressure to make them seal? I know that my gas bottle is getting low but I can't see this being the problem, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I had 4 trouble free years with 2 elcheapo taps I had and had to con the finance minister that these were better and would last for years
tks Russ

My understanding as these are a forward sealing unit they need the pressure to force them to seal.

As QldKev said, forward sealing so need some back pressure to make sure they're shut off firmly. The issue might be that if you only disconnected them overnight and the keg pressure is dropping enough for them to slacken off and leak then you may have a gas leak at keg end somewhere, unless of course the beer is still absorbing CO2. A couple of variances need to be considered that only you can answer I guess, is you serve pressure currently higher than the CO2 volume of your beer?

bah

BAH as far as serv pres v CO2 vol not sure, but now I know they need constant pressure I'll leave the gas on and hope the gas bottle doesn't run out while I'm away, seems strange that if you disconnect the gas to get it refilled your taps will drip
Russ

ZABOND said:
BAH as far as serv pres v CO2 vol not sure, but now I know they need constant pressure I'll leave the gas on and hope the gas bottle doesn't run out while I'm away, seems strange that if you disconnect the gas to get it refilled your taps will drip
Russ
They shouldn't drip when you disconnect the gas Russ. Your lines are still connected to your kegs so you have positive pressure there.

I've had my Perlicks for about 2 years now and never had an issue with them dripping. It doesn't seem right that they would drip when you turn your CO2 off. If they are not sealing properly because of lack of pressure, I wouldn't have thought there would be enough pressure to push beer out the tap anyway.

Crusty that's what's buggin me they shouldn't but they do, if it was just one tap I'd think faulty tap, but not both

Dane could you help me by removing the beer disconnect from your keg, open the tap to relieve pressure close it and see if it drips, mine do

tks Russ

ZABOND said:
Crusty that's what's buggin me they shouldn't but they do, if it was just one tap I'd think faulty tap, but not both

Dane could you help me by removing the beer disconnect from your keg, open the tap to relieve pressure close it and see if it drips, mine do

tks Russ
I did what you suggested Russ.
I have 650ss flow controls so I disconnected the beer out line & opened the tap & moved the lever to full on position than shut off the tap. 1 or 2 drips but that's it. They didn't keep dripping. I think you might have a sealing problem. They shouldn't drip at all.

ZABOND said:
Russ

If the kegs have not reached equilibrium, then the beer will continue to absorb CO2 and may reduce the head pressure by too much resulting in the taps dripping. But if you remove the CO2 bottle at equilibrium they should not have an issue unless you have a leak.

agree with above sounds like a co2 leak, I hate co2 leaks!

Have you had a look at the front seal O-ring? One of my 650ss's was dripping after I hadn't used it for a while. I pulled it apart and cleaned and lubed the front seal O-ring using some keg lube, which fixed the dripping.....

pulled both taps apart gave em a good clean & lube but stil drip/drip, then last night one keg ran out and the other tap stopped dripping when I disconnected the empty keg, so as I know that my gas bottle is nearly empty, bottle gauge reads zero,[nearly 2 years 6kg] I will get a gas refill and see what happens, forgot to mention their 525ss taps
tks all for your imput will report back
Russ

Latest posts

Back