Drilling A Hole

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to update my brew kettle to the 50L kind and need a way of drilling a 20mm hole in the side to fit a 20 mm brass thred. The problem is that the only solution I can think of is to spend $60 buying the largest metal drill bit that Bunnings sell, using it once and then adding it to the old man's collection...

Any ideas??

Cheers,

Mark

Unibits are excellent it is like a stepped drill great for thin metals and the bimetal hole drills are good, if the kettle is SS then run your electric drill on a slow speed not more than 100RPM and use a good quality lubticant such as 'Tap it"

Pumpy

Uni bits are the best i use them all the time they do go up to about 32 mm but get one 2 to 22 mm be fine and they can be multi prupose but aint cheap 60 bucks a pop

Here is another alternative..

Mark out the hole size.
Buy a nibbler - drill a hole to fit the nibbler and nibble out the metal to just shy of the hole size and file round.

Hope this helps

I used one of these step bits from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/STEP-DRILL-DRILL-BI...1QQcmdZViewItem

used a DeWalt $4 metal bit to drill a pilot hole then used the step bit.

absolutely chewed thru my stainless boiler. had a 20mm hole in a few minutes.

then get a ******* file from bunnings if it needs to be a little bigger.

Jez

GMK said:

Mark out the hole size.
Buy a nibbler - drill a hole to fit the nibbler and nibble out the metal to just shy of the hole size and file round.

i reckon a nibbler is more expensive than a step drill and u need a hole just as big
a mackita nibbler be at least 300 bucks

...or using this tool:

stanze1.JPG

stanze2.JPG

stanze3.JPG

Zwickel said:
...or using this tool:

stanze1.JPG

stanze2.JPG

stanze3.JPG

[post="110017"][/post]​

Those core cutters are ok for light guage. If you are cutting a keg then 2.8mm is fairly thick. Buy a PN 21 mm Bi Metallic from Miter 10 if you can, av $15.00 (otherwise 20mm and a slight reem out with round file). IMPORTANT use a variable speed drill and use kerosene as a cooling/cutting lube, go slow, even as low as 60 rpm (1 per second) and stop about every 10 sec. Pour a little kero (I pour a little from the bottle cap) over the bit to cool it and go again. Have cut 6 holes using this process and could not see any wear. However, have experience of others using the same equip and burning out the bit on one or two holes. THE SECRET IS GO SLOW AND USE KERO TO COOL BIT REGULARLY. You will cut the hole in under 2 minutes with no drama's. Use a round file and some coarse emery tape to clean up edges inside and out.

Cheers

Jazman said:
GMK said:

Mark out the hole size.

i reckon a nibbler is more expensive than a step drill and u need a hole just as big
a mackita nibbler be at least 300 bucks
[post="110015"][/post]​

i have a little hand one works well and cheap.
It comes in useful at times - i just think it is better than buying a drill bit and throwing it away.

Screwtop said:
If you are cutting a keg then 2.8mm is fairly thick.
wow, do you have kegs with 2,8mm wall thickness?

Id like to have here :)

Zwickel said:
Screwtop said:
If you are cutting a keg then 2.8mm is fairly thick.
wow, do you have kegs with 2,8mm wall thickness?

Id like to have here :)
[post="110043"][/post]​

Think I made a boo boo there Zwickel think its 1.8,

If you were a local you could borrow my hole saw... It went right through the keg without a problem. Linz has used it too, like a hot knife through butter. None of this cooling hassle.

I suggest you find a mate in a trade and Borrow a hole saw. Sling them some beer for the help.

I know someone who used the biggest drill bit he could find and kept drilling until he had a big enough hole... bit of an effort though

A round ******* file will set you back about $4 and will take maybe 30 mins to turn a small pilot hole into exactly the hole you need, as long as you wear hearing protection and ignore the howls from the neighbourhood cats and dogs.

Guest Lurker said:
A round ******* file will set you back about $4 and will take maybe 30 mins to turn a small pilot hole into exactly the hole you need, as long as you wear hearing protection and ignore the howls from the neighbourhood cats and dogs.

Hahaha, I reached for the earmuffs after about two seconds...and I was using a chainsaw file......that took ages and a VERY steady hand! :lol:

PZ.

I got a 5 piece holesaw kit from Bunnings for $11. Cheap chinese cr@p, but if you're only going to use it once, does it matter ? And go REALLY slow, with them

I bought a decent holesaw arbor, and get the blades as i need them. Cost about 20-30 nz pesos a blade, but i'll end up using them again one day.

Picked up a step bit as well - used it to enlarge a 16mm hole to 22mm when i changed the valves on the kettles. Workd fine for enlarging the hole, but i prefer using the holesaws for cutting from nothing.

marky_mark said:
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to update my brew kettle to the 50L kind and need a way of drilling a 20mm hole in the side to fit a 20 mm brass thred.
Mark
[post="109980"][/post]​

Mark.

FWIW If it's the standard 1/2 inch pipe thread the hole needs to be 21mm. Bi-metal holesaw and arbor are about $15 for the saw and a similar price for the arbor ($30 all up). Used with care you'll be able to cut several holes with it.

Warren -

FJ's in Bayswater has 21 mm bits (a whisker small) for around $13. They are Chinese but no problem, I have drilled several kegs with one and still good as new.

With SS the bit must cut, ie go slow and use some lubricant.

Back