Dr Smurtos golden ale problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For my very first AG batch I followed dr smurtos golden ale recipe, the batch was smelling amazing at bottling time and tasting great too, the problem is that I've just tried the first bottle after two weeks and it definitely has a band aid taste to it, could this just be the beer at a young stage or is there a problem?

I purchased new PET bottles and sterilised and rinsed them extremely well so I'm sure that bottle sanitation wasn't the problem.

As this is my first AG brew (BIAB) does the beer tie longer to condition that extract brews?

Any comments would be appreciated on this one.

What did you use to sanatise your bottles? Say it wasn't bleach!

Hey guys I sanitised my bottles with the pink steriliser powder, then rinsed them thoroughly afterwards, I smelt the bottles and all of them were odourless after rinsing.

I've heard wild yeast can make phenolics that are weirdly clove/mace/nutmeg/camphor kinda phenolics that smell like those sticky cloth bandaids.

Is it in all the bottles?

Have you tried Amarillo hops before? :ph34r: :D

Nick JD said:
I've heard wild yeast can make phenolics that are weirdly clove/mace/nutmeg/camphor kinda phenolics that smell like those sticky cloth bandaids.

Is it in all the bottles?

Have you tried Amarillo hops before? :ph34r: :D
Hey Nick,

I've opened two bottles so far and it was in both, ill crack open another tonight and check it out.

I love Amarillo normally, I'm drinking a cascarillo ale at the moment and that tastes amazing, that's got Amarillo and cascade in and I'm really enjoying that.

Ill give it another shot tonight, if it's still the same ill leave it for a month, try again then either keep it or dump it, hopefully it sorts itself out!

" Hey guys I sanitised my bottles with the pink steriliser powder, then rinsed them thoroughly afterwards, I smelt the bottles and all of them were odourless after rinsing."

Sounds like a wild yeast of the nasal variety.

431neb said:
" Hey guys I sanitised my bottles with the pink steriliser powder, then rinsed them thoroughly afterwards, I smelt the bottles and all of them were odourless after rinsing."
Sounds like a wild yeast of the nasal variety.
It could be I suppose but I didn't smell all of the bottles, just the first few to make sure I was rinsing them properly.

I tried another bottle of this last night and the taste was still there, albeit not as strongly as before, the beer is definitely still drinkable but ill give it some more time and see what happens.

Isn't the pink powder chlorine based?

Rinse any chlorine product with boiling water

manticle said:
Isn't the pink powder chlorine based?

Rinse any chlorine product with boiling water
Thanks for all the help guys, I think it's time I made the switch over to starsan!

Latest posts

Back