Dr Smurto's Golden Ale Hop Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdelaideHillsBrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys, will be brewing next week after work. Just putting together my grain/hops order. I have done this recipe before with the suggested Amarillo and was happy with the result. But as variety is the spice of life I thought I would ask for hop suggestions.....nothing to crazy or complicated, as I think simple is best. Any thoughts?

Oh and my setup is BIAB/50l keg and no chill for this one! :icon_cheers:

Hi guys, will be brewing next week after work. Just putting together my grain/hops order. I have done this recipe before with the suggested Amarillo and was happy with the result. But as variety is the spice of life I thought I would ask for hop suggestions.....nothing to crazy or complicated, as I think simple is best. Any thoughts?

Oh and my setup is BIAB/50l keg and no chill for this one! :icon_cheers:

I've done a similar recipe with Citra, and another with Cascade - both awesome. I actually prefer them to the Amarillo version, although if you are serving it to James Squire drinkers they'll prefer the clone.

Rye as half/full-replacement-for the wheat addition and cascade single hop is awesome.

I would suggest that grain bill would support whatever you threw at it...

As a straight out swap for Amarillo, cascade would be first choice but also a cascade centennial combo would be awesome IMO :icon_drool2:

Be carefull with Citra, potent shit, good in the right amounts but a little too much is a lot too if you know what I mean.

But I am a fuckwit, who doesn't understand running a business in Australia so take it with as many grains as salt as you wish.
:icon_cheers:

Hi Guys sort of off topic, but I have also done this and was wondering if Nelson s would compliment the Amarillo. I have left overs of both and was wondering if they would go together with the grain bill of the Dr S recipe

Thinking of just late hopping the NS

Hi Guys sort of off topic, but I have also done this and was wondering if Nelson s would compliment the Amarillo. I have left overs of both and was wondering if they would go together with the grain bill of the Dr S recipe

Thinking of just late hopping the NS

Try a combination of cascade and nelson, they go so well together both aromatically and flavour wise

Worked heaps with Nelson and I'm working through 1/2kg of cascade.

They'd go well together.

I've always loved Citra and Nelson - great combo - both strong hops that really compete and complement each other. A bit like State of Origin when both teams are playing well.

Goomba

Worked heaps with Nelson and I'm working through 1/2kg of cascade.

They'd go well together.

I've always loved Citra and Nelson - great combo - both strong hops that really compete and complement each other. A bit like State of Origin when both teams are playing well.

Goomba

COMPLETELY :icon_offtopic:
I have wondered ever since you came on here, what your nickname / handle is all about.
Are you an Indian Prince?
Absolutely no offence, its just so unusual.

COMPLETELY :icon_offtopic:
I have wondered ever since you came on here, what your nickname / handle is all about.
Are you an Indian Prince?
Absolutely no offence, its just so unusual.

I have an Indian grandfather that was a member of the Raj, then the republic took most of their titles away, he went to England........ rest is history.

That's where Raja came from.

The rest is a programming name I picked up from mates in high school, Raja was tacked onto it (nickname "white raja"), and it kinda was what I used for gaming and I never really gave it up when I got too old and in the family way & had to give up gaming.

Nothing sinister or outrageous, just an evolution over the last 15 years.

Goomba

I have an Indian grandfather that was a member of the Raj, then the republic took most of their titles away, he went to England........ rest is history.

That's where Raja came from.

The rest is a programming name I picked up from mates in high school, Raja was tacked onto it (nickname "white raja"), and it kinda was what I used for gaming and I never really gave it up when I got too old and in the family way & had to give up gaming.

Nothing sinister or outrageous, just an evolution over the last 15 years.

Goomba

Cool, thanks. So your gaming name was Goomba 1 and your grandfather was a Lord of the Raj?

I'm firing my new crown 40l urn up at the moment for DSGA with rye and subbing Amarillo with Chinook. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

BTW- My urn is awesome, the rolling boil is nuts.

Do you think I should bitter with Chinook and flavour with Amarillo? I also have a bit of centennial, what are your thoughts before I add the two stroke.

Do you think I should bitter with Chinook and flavour with Amarillo? I also have a bit of centennial, what are your thoughts before I add the two stroke.

Bitter with Chinook, and do the rest with Half Cascade Half Cents [Equal amounts in each addition]... OMG! :icon_drool2:

All Chinook... na.

3c.

I done a few golden ales with homegrown chinook. I did a homegrown series last year (chinook, cascade, POR, victoria)

My current 'standard' golden ale uses rye instead of wheat and vienna instead of munich.

Any american C style hop works. NZ hops such as riwaka, moteuka, NS work a treat as does galaxy and combinations of most.

I've made it with all Cascade, and it was excellent.

I've also made it with a cocktail of mostly UK/Euro style hops, and didn't think it worked very well to my taste.

I'm thinking of a combo Cascade and NS for my next one.

I'm leaning towards Rye being better than wheat for golden ales/APA that are hopper - especially caramel rye - it gives it that extra oomph.

Hops for me, Galaxy, Citra and Cascade are in stock and work well.

Dry hopped with willamette to get ride of the outrageous aggressive american hopping and give it more of a british feel.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back