Dr Bob's Brewery Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorBob

Reaction score
Hi all,

thought I might post a few pics of the shed extension (brewery & bar), and the brewery equipment build over the next 6 months or so. It will probably be slow progress with 2 kids, wife, job, etc,

Last weekend most of the roof went on the extension, and today I aquired 2 x 36L ss stockpots, and a 59L ss stockpot, and a ss bench.

Where do I get 2 x march pumps for the best price?

dingo___dogger_061.jpg

Welcome to the world of AG brewing .the sponsors links at the top of the page is the best place for buying march pumps .I reckon that if you don't mind playing swapsies with hoses ,you could get away with one pump .
Cheers
Ferg

Welcome to the world of AG brewing .the sponsors links at the top of the page is the best place for buying march pumps .I reckon that if you don't mind playing swapsies with hoses ,you could get away with one pump .
Cheers
Ferg

Thanks, and thanks for the welcome to AG

Hi Dr Bob,
that's shaping up as a decent and worthwhile project! ;)

Have you planned to set up a multi- vessel system, go BIAB or something else perhaps? With BIAB, for the want of a few yards of swiss voile or a bag from a sponsor, you could probably start AG today with those pots on a kitchen stovetop or outdoor BBQ. Starting an AG career with BIAB would not require anywhere near as much effort and expense as other methods (as per the brewtus etc) before making a drop of wort, but also gives you a chance to see if you like it or have the time, skills and motivation.
FWIW, I actually have a couple of legit stainless firkins left over from our dairy that I wanted to outfit in a multi- vessel system, but haven't seen the need as BIAB in a stockpot on the kitchen stove works brilliantly as is... plus I'm just a bit lazy of course. :D

Good luck with it, pretty sure everyone around here can help, which ever way you decide to go. :icon_cheers:

Hi Dr Bob,
that's shaping up as a decent and worthwhile project! ;)

Have you planned to set up a multi- vessel system, go BIAB or something else perhaps? With BIAB, for the want of a few yards of swiss voile or a bag from a sponsor, you could probably start AG today with those pots on a kitchen stovetop or outdoor BBQ. Starting an AG career with BIAB would not require anywhere near as much effort and expense as other methods (as per the brewtus etc) before making a drop of wort, but also gives you a chance to see if you like it or have the time, skills and motivation.
FWIW, I actually have a couple of legit stainless firkins left over from our dairy that I wanted to outfit in a multi- vessel system, but haven't seen the need as BIAB in a stockpot on the kitchen stove works brilliantly as is... plus I'm just a bit lazy of course. :D

Good luck with it, pretty sure everyone around here can help, which ever way you decide to go. :icon_cheers:

Hi,

thanks for the interest.

I was planning on going the full brutus set up, but over time. I like the idea of making a BIAB, and thought I might give that a go when I have bought my first burner. Like the look of beerbelly's Italian spiral burners. Wonder if my big 24" diameter pot would sit safely on one???

After I get the burners, thought I might get the outlets put on the pots, and a false bottom in the mash pot, and set up to do a batch or two using gravity / a few lifts, then progress to fitting the pumps, then finally the temp controllers.

Its a lot of money all at once, but spread over a year its a case a week sort of spend, and I can justify that (in my head, and to she who likes to be obeyed!)

DrB

looking good,

with the march pumps, I tried emailing the guy who did the last bulk buy, but never got a response, so it appears the sponsors above are the best price I have seen, I was hoping to only use 1 pump.

Assuming Batch Sparge with HERMS.
pump from
HLT to MLT
MLT to MLT via HX
MLT to Keggle
HLT to MLT
MLT to Kettle

I figured I would only ever be putting the wort (in the pump) (post mash) into the kettle, and pre mash/mash out, back into the MLT.

Good lucj and keep the photo's

Matt

looking good,

with the march pumps, I tried emailing the guy who did the last bulk buy, but never got a response, so it appears the sponsors above are the best price I have seen, I was hoping to only use 1 pump.

Assuming Batch Sparge with HERMS.
pump from
HLT to MLT
MLT to MLT via HX
MLT to Keggle
HLT to MLT
MLT to Kettle

I figured I would only ever be putting the wort (in the pump) (post mash) into the kettle, and pre mash/mash out, back into the MLT.

Good lucj and keep the photo's

Matt

Hi Matt,

thanks for the post.

I'd like to get away with one pump, but Cairns water is usually around 28C, so to get the wort down to pitching temp I had planned initially circulating the kettle to a heat exchanger, initially conected to a garden hose, but then to switch to circulating cold water from the HLT via the HE (ie block of ice in it!) to get down to 20C or so.

Suppose I could do it with one pump with a copper coil type chiller stuck in the kettle from above.....

No reason to get an expensive food-grade high temp pump to move cold water that doesn't touch your beer - probably a $50 bunnings fountain pump would do the job.

No reason to get an expensive food-grade high temp pump to move cold water that doesn't touch your beer - probably a $50 bunnings fountain pump would do the job.

Hi thanks and for the reply.

I was planning on a fly sparge, and having all the vessels on one level for ease, so need both pumps to be able to handle 70C or so....would a fountain pump cope with that? If it will you have just saved me $200 and I owe you a beer!!!

I was looking at one of these not too sure if food grad though

Hi thanks and for the reply.

I was planning on a fly sparge, and having all the vessels on one level for ease, so need both pumps to be able to handle 70C or so....would a fountain pump cope with that? If it will you have just saved me $200 and I owe you a beer!!!

Probably not - I assumed you'd be using the pump to put the ice cold water through one end of the chiller while you use the march pump to move the wort thru the other end of the chiller either recirculated back to the kettle or to your fermenter.

My herms setup just has the one pump for moving wort, with a set of ball valves in an H configuration around the pump. I recirculate hot wort thru the pump and chiller for the last 15 minutes of the boil with no cold water in the chiller to ensure everything is sanitised by heat, then I put the cold water through at flameout.

not too sure, this one talks about stainless to separate motor and impeller and magnetic drive. It's only as it talks about aircon/heating that makes me thinks it's not but I am still tempted

not too sure, this one talks about stainless to separate motor and impeller and magnetic drive. It's only as it talks about aircon/heating that makes me thinks it's not but I am still tempted

me too!

little off topic but I am trying to get an image to show up in my profile...shows up when you go into the profile, but not on a post ( as everyone elses seems to) what am I doing wrong?

my controls -> edit avatar settings

my controls -> edit avatar settings

cheers for that !

I toast you with a drink of my high alcohol Duvel kits & bits brew with an FNQ twist - very tasty...with FNQ rainforrest honey in...yum)

1.5kg brewcraft Czech Pilsner
1.5kg Morgans lager pale malt extract
1kg dextrose
250g FNQ rainforrest honey
1 teabag SAAZ finishing hops
21L, OG 1062, FG 1014

Have to be very careful with this one. The brother in law loved it last weekend but had to have a lie down after a couple of miller twists then 2 tallies. of my brew ..hahahha and was very green next day...did warn him it was strong, but is v tasty and disguises its strength

Hey Doc,

You can get dual head march pumps so you can have the liquid out of HLT to MLT on on head, then MLT out to HX and kettle on other head. This allows the fly sparge from HLT and pump from MLT to kettle at the same time. You do have to have both heads primed, but then you can just shut the outlet when only using one head. This is something I'm seriously considering.

Latest posts

Back