Double Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'd just like to say - Great forum! A wealth of information!

I've just recently started homebrewing again, and for the first time I racked the beer (Lager), twice.

The 2nd time was for the bulk priming, and I left most of the yeast cake from secondary behind, so now I'm a little worried there won't be enough yeast in the bottles for carbonation? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Stew

Don't worry about it - there still should be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer. She'll be right.

Always enough yeast in suspension. Just may take a bit longer to gas correctly in a bottle.

Just keep it warm (above about 10 deg) and you'll be right. give it a month a see what happens.

BOG

i do this all the time

It will be fine!

just cause the beer is clear doesnt mean the beer dont have live yeast in it.

I actually find his works better because fresh yeast is produced in the bottle and it seems to pack down better in the bottom. If you rack all the shit and dead yeast in from primary..... or even secondary..... it settles out in the bottle but stays loose and ends up in the glass.

I have brewed beers that had been CC'd for 8 weeks and were as clear as filteres comercial beer and they gassed up no worries. and the second pour was clear. had to bribe the yeast out of the bottle.

cheers

Ahh thats great to know! Thanks everyone :)

I can't wait to give it a try! Being my first brew in 4 years there were a few minor "rookie mistakes" (ie loosing 1L of wort becuse the tap was open when transfering it into the fermenter, reducing my OG to only 1.035) but upon bottling it was tasting, smelling and looking good.

Cheers

Stew

Back