Double Batches For Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
A neighour and i want to get into the full AG part of brewing and i'd like to know if its easy enough to do a double sized batch in AG to each fill up a keg at the end of the brew. Is it too hard to start off doing large batches or is it just a matter of having larger equipment and more ingredients etc? I have been doing a simple method of BIAB for a while now so i have a bit of an idea whats involved.
If it can be done what size mashtun (esky) and kettle do i need? Or are we better of getting our own gear?
Any help would be great.

I started the same doing double batches with a mate. But we now want our own brewery setup! Fortunately all the gear was mine, and we used his shed. You will want to brew your own in the long run as its harder and harder to find the time when you both are available... well thats what we found anyway!

Q - Are you batch or flysparging?

Fly sparge (as I do) you can get away with a 50L Mash Tun for up to 14 kg of grain.

Batch you would struggle and would need maybe a 60 - 70L Mash Tun.

Larger Kettle of 60 L would be required, as you want around 40L after the boil.

HLT will need to be bigger too.

Just my 2c.

+1 on the 60L or more comment on your boiler. I use 50L vessel and it's not enough.

You need enough headspace in it to get it rolling without boiling over.
There are a few here that transfer by juggling loads of smaller pots but messing around with hot liquid and the safety aspect doesn't appeal to me.

I do double batches with a 50L keggle and struggle with the headspace issue - am looking for a bigger boiler currently. Tend to boil with around an inch of headspace so have to watch it like a hawk. Do manage to get a bit over 40L of wort out of it without issue, but can't do vigorous boils and am worried some of my beers that use pils and wheat grains could suffer DMS issues from lack of a solid boil (I have to simmer and stir).

I have no issue with my 50L mash tun as the water runs through over the grain, so don't need size for that. Just the boiler.

Go big on a boil pot and you'll be happy as a clam in my opinion.

Hopper.

Yep, I've never done a single batch. Started doing doubles in a 40lt mash tun and then upgraded to a 50lt mashtun. Have now progressed to tripples but I have a large (110lt) kettle. Did a tripple batch "big" AIPA last week and it was tight in the mashtun so big beers will be doubles from now on...

+1 on the large kettle.

I have a 50L MT and a 60L kettle, and I can just squeeze a double out. in hind-sight, I'd go 70L or more.

so having a 50l willow mash tun and 60l kettle whats the biggest batch i could get away with if batch sparging?

For doubles, ive got....
  • 20ltr Urn for HLT(a little small, need a 30ltr but will be making my 50ltr Keggle a HLT) and I generally need about 20-25litres for Mash/Sparge water
  • 57 litre Igloo Esky for Mash Tun(love this esky, holds a double no sweat, just a bit big for singles)
  • 80ltr Pot for Kettle, plenty of room in this bad boy for doubles....
  • 2 Cubes to use for No-Chilling
:icon_cheers: CB

I've done 54L Pre-boil in my 60L pot. Was terrifying! Managed to get through it OK, but was a challenge! 50L mash tun was definitely pushing it for batch sparging!

Cheers

so having a 50l willow mash tun and 60l kettle whats the biggest batch i could get away with if batch sparging?

You might be able to squeeze two x 23Litre batches (46 litres) out, maybe a touch over in comfort, but I would think but it would be a tight fit beyond that as NickB's post confirms. Watching a boiling pot with hot wort lapping up the sides, and turning the gas up and down every 3-4 mins so it doesn't boil over is stressful. You also get a less vigorous boil when it's full up as you have less space.

If I had an extra 10 litres on my 50L that would give me enough headroom for a good comfortable boil on a 40L batch - perfect for that amount, and enough for two 19L cornie kegs and a teeny bit left over to place in stubbies. Then I could sit back in a deck chair and suck down a few ales rather than having to nervously watch the pot. That's the sort of brewing I'd prefer to do.

Hopper.

I've done 54L Pre-boil in my 60L pot. Was terrifying! Managed to get through it OK, but was a challenge! 50L mash tun was definitely pushing it for batch sparging!

Cheers
Yeah, exact same here, but continue to push it, can end up with 45-46L at the end, but I need a bigger kettle to just sit back and let it happen.

Yeah i would be happy doing 40l batches

man you boys are good, thanks for the quick replies! So now i will start pricing out maybe the 57 litre esky, 70-80 litre kettle for starters, then the false bottom, heat exchange, larger burner etc etc. Will just have to keep the price hidden from the wives and we will be right. Cheers again!

I have a 55L willow esky (actually only holds 48L due to the lid) and a 50L keggle.

I batch sparge and pump out 40L batches with a concentrated boil and top up of 10L of boiling water at flameout. So my pre-boil volume is 40-42L and post boil its the same.

If you have the option then a bigger kettle would be my tip.

The 55L willow esky can easily deal with 40L batches, drain the 1st runnings and then batch sparge in 2 equal portions. By splitting the batch sparge into 2 lots you should get a small increase in efficiency.

The other option is to brew your batches at a higher gravity going into the kettle, then water them down slightly when in the fermentor. Will affect hop utilisation, just take this into account when making your recipes.

Edit - beaten by the good Dr!

I have a 55L willow esky (actually only holds 48L due to the lid) and a 50L keggle.

I batch sparge and pump out 40L batches with a concentrated boil and top up of 10L of boiling water at flameout. So my pre-boil volume is 40-42L and post boil its the same.

If you have the option then a bigger kettle would be my tip.

The 55L willow esky can easily deal with 40L batches, drain the 1st runnings and then batch sparge in 2 equal portions. By splitting the batch sparge into 2 lots you should get a small increase in efficiency.

Hi Dr,

Could you please post your litres for first sparge/runnings for a 10kg grain bill and what size (litres) and temp (i imagine you stir and let sit for about 15mins each ?) are your 2 batchsparges.

Man, getting all this gear is harder than i thought. I have been sifting through some stuff on here, looking at the pics and trying to see what would suit us. After looking at Clean Brewers mash tun i have been trying to find something the same but have not had any luck so might just have to get one from the same place if he still does them.
I might go to the markets on sunday in search for a cheap 70-80l pot.
Are there any favourite burners out there, the NASA burner from beerbelly look good but are there any opinions in terms of one for a larger boil?
We have also decided to make our own copper immersion cooler to save some bucks and will see how that goes first, and also use some copper for the drainage in the mash tun.
Thanks again for the much needed help, i cant wait to get all the gear to see what it can produce. Cheers

My set up goes something like this: 80ltr HLT + 50ltr Mash Tun + 100ltr kettle = 55ltr in the fermenter. :beerbang:

Man, getting all this gear is harder than i thought. I have been sifting through some stuff on here, looking at the pics and trying to see what would suit us. After looking at Clean Brewers mash tun i have been trying to find something the same but have not had any luck so might just have to get one from the same place if he still does them.
I might go to the markets on sunday in search for a cheap 70-80l pot.
Are there any favourite burners out there, the NASA burner from beerbelly look good but are there any opinions in terms of one for a larger boil?
We have also decided to make our own copper immersion cooler to save some bucks and will see how that goes first, and also use some copper for the drainage in the mash tun.
Thanks again for the much needed help, i cant wait to get all the gear to see what it can produce. Cheers

Ivesy, its not that hard mate, just do some research and look around, unfortunately its near impossible to get a Cooler like mine :( , they are awesome but I think they must stay in America, try this mob out on Ebay BIG CHILLI COOLERS, if you keep a eye out you can generally pick up one pretty cheap and they handle cold or hot food and have a food grade lining inside...

As far as your pot, just buy a 70-80ltr Aluminium pot for a start, easy to drill and you will always be able to sell it if you give up brewing(which I dont advise)....

The Nasa's get a great rap for their ability to boil but apparently can be quite noisey at full pelt, the Spirals are great aswell as they can boil well and are a little quieter, its up to you but a spiral is only about $30 more...

On a chiller, you could always NO-CHILL :ph34r: :super: and have beer ready to go all the time...

:icon_cheers: CB

Back