Doppellbock Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
As my saying goes "You can never have too much Bock" I am planning to do a big Bock and was interested in comments on the recipe.
Also could you recomend a good Wyeast and a Dry yeast for this style. And if I use a dry yeast, Like 34/70 should I pitch 2 packets?

#41 Doppellbock

Type: All Grain
Date: 26/06/2007
Batch Size: 28.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 41.67 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 120 min Equipment: Big teds keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 29.9 %
1000.00 gm Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 29.9 %
4000.00 gm Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 29.9 %
1000.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 10.0 %
40.00 gm Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 0.5 %
60.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (120 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.084 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.0 %
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 33.8 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 10050.00 gm
Sparge Water: 26.73 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 25.00 L of water at 74.8 C 67.8 C 60 min

Sorry, I can't find teh thread, but Ross recently posted on exactly the same topic and I made some comments he found helpful. FWIW, I prefer decoctions and a long boil (you have the latter) to using the darker malt for colour. Your recipe looks like it will make a good DB. I'd also suggest upping the proportion of Munich to the paler base malts. But it is only a suggestion, not a necessity I shouldn't think.

looks good to me! recipe is the easy bit for bocks, the hard bit is nailing a good solid fermentation without letting it get above 11 or 12C. and finding space in a fridge for 6 months. although you can always bottle-lager if you're confident you've got to your FG.

The thread Steve mentions is here - Would have been a good place to post your question.
Even though I haven't used in a dopplebock yet (hopefully brewing next week) the dried yeast of choice for me would be S-189 (CraftBrewer Swiss lager, if not available locally). This yeast is making some sensational beers from the feedback I've been getting... :)

Cheers Ross

I found The Wyeast Octoberfest Blend did really well in my last one.

"2633 Octoberfest Lager Blend. A blend of lager strains designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. Attenuates well while still leaving plenty of malt character and mouth feel. Low in sulfur production. Flocculation - medium-low; apparent attenuation: 73-77%. (48-58 F, 9-14 C)"

With such big malt and low IBU you want good attenuation.
otherwise it'll be sickly sweet.
You'll need a big starter and heaps of aeration.

I'd do the same as Steve and ditch the Cara's, halve the pils & viena, and up the munich with a decoction mash.

Thanks Ross. Was hoping you'd chip in. It is strange that when I put "Ross" and Doppelbock" in as search terms I got a whole bunch of hits, but not that one. I don't know if it is me or the site's search engine, but I don't have much luck using it, I have to confess.

looks good to me! recipe is the easy bit for bocks, the hard bit is nailing a good solid fermentation without letting it get above 11 or 12C. and finding space in a fridge for 6 months.

Neonmeate is on the money there. Good healthy yeast is essential for this style and time. Its a long wait to find you have a fruity dopplebock.

I would make a smaller beer with a fresh smack pack or tube and pitch the DB onto the cake. Make sure you are at around 8 degree C before putting it on the yeast.

cheers

Darren

Thanks Ross. Was hoping you'd chip in. It is strange that when I put "Ross" and Doppelbock" in as search terms I got a whole bunch of hits, but not that one. I don't know if it is me or the site's search engine, but I don't have much luck using it, I have to confess.

I just tried that and got two hits, the second of which was it. :blink:

I would make a smaller beer with a fresh smack pack or tube and pitch the DB onto the cake. Make sure you are at around 8 degree C before putting it on the yeast.

cheers

Darren

If you have a suitable yeast cake ready this is the go. And Ross's Swiss Lager Yeast is a top yeast. I think it would work well with a DB, although perhaps not as good as an authentic liquid yeast. As Darren said, keep the temperature as low as you can - the big yeast cake will try to kick off really fast.

Thanks fellas. I will get some S-189 and a Wyeast Oktoberfest but what ever I decide to use I will be doing a Vienna style Lager before the Bock so I will pitch the Bock onto the yeast cake from that.

Steve

sorry to hijack the thread.

i'v got some left over cake from my oktoberfest (wyeast 2206) in a 2L plastic bottle that i'm wanting to pitch into a dopplebock. how long will the cake last in the bottle? and should i pitch the whole bottle or only the liquid on top of the cake?

-Phill

sorry to hijack the thread.

i'v got some left over cake from my oktoberfest (wyeast 2206) in a 2L plastic bottle that i'm wanting to pitch into a dopplebock. how long will the cake last in the bottle? and should i pitch the whole bottle or only the liquid on top of the cake?

-Phill

DF,

have a look at this link by Chiller..

yeast farming

Rook

Would there be any danger in adding say 1kg of cane sugar to the boil just for kicks?

Latest posts

Back