Don't Know How It Happened, But....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbow

Reaction score
I did a a BIAB wheat beer a couple of weeks back and no chilled as usual. All good, squeezed all the air out and left in the shed as normal. I fired up the stir plate with a Wyeast wheat in readyness to pitch in the coming days when I noticed that my cube had taken in air. Very weird as it had been two weeks since I sealed it up without a problem. As my yeast was already on the stir plate I figured I'd pitch ASAP just to make sure. Anyway, went to collect my cube from the garage this evening and it's expanded way out of shape and looks like it might explode!

Anyone had this sort of problem before with NC?

Cheers

Brian

p.s. I've done around a dozen NC's before this one without any incident.

I did a a BIAB wheat beer a couple of weeks back and no chilled as usual. All good, squeezed all the air out and left in the shed as normal. I fired up the stir plate with a Wyeast wheat in readyness to pitch in the coming days when I noticed that my cube had taken in air. Very weird as it had been two weeks since I sealed it up without a problem. As my yeast was already on the stir plate I figured I'd pitch ASAP just to make sure. Anyway, went to collect my cube from the garage this evening and it's expanded way out of shape and looks like it might explode!

Cheers

Brian

It's toast.

Anything different with the sanitation regime this time mate?

Definitely sounds infected.

No idea to be perfectly honest, first time I've made a wheat. Aside from that, all the same. I'll toss I think, not worth the frigging around
Anything different with the sanitation regime this time mate?

Definitely sounds infected.

Argon had a similar problem recently. I think his smelt ok and he ended up pitching. Not sure on further results.

I personally wouldn't waste the yeast... Would you eat a bulging can of food? Or a swollen bag of cryovac meat? Something must of grown in there to produce gas to make the cube out of shape, might not necessarily be harmful, but I doubt it is something you want in beer.

Cheers

Brian

Yeh Brian same thing here your not alone mate.
Put a schwarz into cube over a week ago after doing a few others , all fine, only to discover a bulging cube a week later.
I'm probably thinking the same as you. Can I save it ? What if I reboil?

Embarrassing to admit to an infection but we all get them from time to time.
I'll follow thread with interest.

Anybody saved an infected brew before ferment?
Daz

Yeah, I'll try and save the yeast. I've had it on the stir plate for 24 hours now. Shall I just chill and decant the beer, then swirl with boiled/cooled water and store in a jar?

UPDATE: Just opened the cube. It fizzed when I opened it. It smells of baked beans. Even for a wheat beer, that's not a good look! She's heading down the drain!

Latest posts

Back