Domestic Power Supply

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_w

Reaction score
Sparkies

As I'm an industrial electrician I have no understanding of residential supplies, how hard is it to convince esv to connect a 3 phase supply to my new place? It is right out the front , overhead.

Or a what are the amp limits on single phase mains?

Sparkies

As I'm an industrial electrician I have no understanding of residential supplies, how hard is it to convince esv to connect a 3 phase supply to my new place? It is right out the front , overhead.

Or a what are the amp limits on single phase mains?

Tell them you are installing a 3 phase cooling system, its powercor you will have to convince.
Single phase you'd be lucky to get anything bigger than 16mm2 overhead mains.

I am not a sparky, but a mate of mine is who installed 2 * 23 Amp circuits and he was surprised that my main fuse is 80 Amps so I would suggest the more modern the house is, the less it will be.
This is a mid 80's building and the owner built it so he might have had contacts to get a more reasonable supply.

Cheers

Roller

recently built a new house, sparky put in 3 phase power to handle a/c and extras down the track.

he described it as 3 sets of 100amp supplies.

normal house has 1 x 100amp supply, hence 1 phase and 3 phase.
getting changed from 1 to 3 may cost you, but worth making enquiries.

Cheers guys,

The house is in a commercial zone so there is a good supply out the front, I think it will be worth spending the coin on otherwise I'll have to convert to natural gas :(

I have heard they don't like putting it on unless you have a good reason, a brewery in your shed you say? ha ha sure!

just say you have some welding gear that you need to setup 3 phase. I dont think its a problem. My dad got 3 phase although it was a new house and it did cost him like $20 000 to run power to it but it is a 14 acre block and the house is at the furthest point from the road lol

i paid a bit under 2 grand to connect 3 phase.

with existing infrastructure you should get away with it a bit cheaper.

you should be able to get a local sparky to do it.

$20K geesas, lucky it's just out the front, i could just reach up with some big alligator clips!

$2k sounds about right, getting the work done won't be a problem I just heard getting permission to connect 3 phase could be.

when building the house it cost only a few hundred more for 3 phase (for ac and bore pump) i dunno the cost of adding it later

I'm sure you realise that you can perform the work on your house and sign off on it as an electrical worker and the responsible person . Just put in a works order and put your electrical wokers number as the contractors number on the safety cert.

The other thing to do is ring an inspector in your area and have a chat with him as you'll have to get one out to inspect the work anyway.

MB

I'm sure you realise that you can perform the work on your house and sign off on it as an electrical worker and the responsible person . Just put in a works order and put your electrical wokers number as the contractors number on the safety cert.

The other thing to do is ring an inspector in your area and have a chat with him as you'll have to get one out to inspect the work anyway.

MB

Hey mate,
Yeah got that bit sorted, more interested in getting the overhead mains from the pole to the meter upgraded, the rest I can handle.

getting permission should not be an issue,

my parents upgraded to 3 phase when they installed a new a/c and I know of

people who have done it to allow for a home workshop.

The powers that be are just concerned your creating some sort of industrial/commercial type setup in your house.

Also check with the local power suppplier. I know in my town there is an extra monthly charge if you have 3 phase connected.

QldKev

Funny you should say that, Ha, Westpac don't need server rooms as much as I need to brew beer!

recently built a new house, sparky put in 3 phase power to handle a/c and extras down the track.

he described it as 3 sets of 100amp supplies.

normal house has 1 x 100amp supply, hence 1 phase and 3 phase.
getting changed from 1 to 3 may cost you, but worth making enquiries.

I believe a standard supply to a house is 65 amps.

I thought it was 80A these days Tony? Or maybe that's only for new installs?

I believe the standard supply to a house is going to be taxed by an extranoirdinrary amount following a "carbon" tax

I thought it was 80A these days Tony? Or maybe that's only for new installs?

Yes, you are probably right Nick, I know FA about electricity and should not comment on it.

Hey, I'm only a first year Sparky Apprentice, so WTF would I know! (answer: not much.....yet)

I don't work on HV anyway. 500V and less for me :)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back