Doh, What Was I Thinking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Decided I was getting too much trub into my cubes so I did a brew today and lifted the pickup tube about an inch off the bottom of the kettle.
Irish mossed and whirlpooled and cut down the flow as it got down to near the trub cone, and then shut it off as the first bit of trub headed for the pickup.
Great I thought, as I had maybe 25L in the cube with no trub, wahoo.
Then I suddenly thought, DOH, I forgot the last addition of hops. :blink:
So I have an APA with a first wort addition and a 45min addition.
So I guess I will try dry hopping a few days after fermentation starts

Why do I always forget something, ie the mash stabiliser or the whirlfloc I forget a lot but now the hops. :angry:

Rant finished

checklist - you write a checklist of everything you need to do and add.. and cross it off the list as you brew. Here's a copy of mine and a scan of a filled in one - to give you an idea. I write in all my targets and intentions before I brew, then I fill in actual values and tick off additions as I brew. I also run a log of my fermentations

It really helps me with consistency - you might find something in them ot help.

Cheers

TB

scans of used checklists

brew_sessio_plan.jpg
Ferm_log.jpg

The original documents

View attachment Brewing_Session_Log_v1.2.doc
View attachment Fermentation_Log_v1.0.doc

Yes, that is a good idea and I will write one up for myself.
The trouble is that I have done the last few brews without even doing up a recipe in beersmith. I just take the scales and thermometer out to the shed and go for it. Then I enter the recipe into beersmith later.
I am getting sloppy and need to tighten up eh :unsure:

well - if you are just brewing for fun, and you are willing to take what you get as a result... then nope. All you need is good sanitation. You're fine. But if the object of the game is to hit targets, make a specific beer; and be able to repeat it... then yep. You need to make recipes and definitely take good notes.

Decided I was getting too much trub into my cubes so I did a brew today and lifted the pickup tube about an inch off the bottom of the kettle.
Irish mossed and whirlpooled and cut down the flow as it got down to near the trub cone, and then shut it off as the first bit of trub headed for the pickup.
Great I thought, as I had maybe 25L in the cube with no trub, wahoo.
Then I suddenly thought, DOH, I forgot the last addition of hops. :blink:
So I have an APA with a first wort addition and a 45min addition.
So I guess I will try dry hopping a few days after fermentation starts

Why do I always forget something, ie the mash stabiliser or the whirlfloc I forget a lot but now the hops. :angry:

Rant finished

If the last addition was an aroma addition, couldn't you just chuck in a hop sock while it chills?

Depending on the style, a dash of hop tea on racking to secondary / cold conditioning might fit the bill as well.

Depending on the style, a dash of hop tea on racking to secondary / cold conditioning might fit the bill as well.
good thought this one. or just increase or lengthen the dry hops.

never wrong to up the dry hops for an apa. or go with thirsty boys idea if you're a pro or something ;)
joe

Yeah it would have been an aroma addition but it has to stay in the cube for a week or so till I have a fermenter ready. Plus I dont want to open the cube till then.
I'll drop a few cascade or amarillo pellots through the airlock hole (sorry butters :), when the fermentation has slowed.

Back