Dogfish Head Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made this interesting sounding brew. It contains a massive amount of Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo hop additions 7 gms of each at 30, 15, 10, 5 and 4 minute intervals. then dry hop with another 7gms of each. Just wondered how the different hops would be on the pallet? The Extract is 3.5 kg of Coopers light malt and about 250gms of Crystal malt steeped. IBU comes out at about 60 which appears pretty hight, but should be tasty?

hmm are you talking about the 60min IPA? They have the 90 and 120 as well and they are hopped at a higher rate.

I think it's the 60 min IPA. Didn't know they did others.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/index.htm

If you can get hold of this book, Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home, written by Sam Calagione, the founder of dogfish head there is a recipe detailed out inside. BYO has a recipe for the 90min that I have at home. Let me get it when I get back home in a couple of hours and I will share it with you here.

There's a TBN episode for the 90m, I can't remember if it has an interview with Sam or not though.

Here's the recipe from BYO 150 clone brew edition. This recipe was contributed by Sam and Bryan, the founder and head brewer at dogfish head.

1.8kg Light DME
1.3kg Light LME (15mins)
0.68kg pale malt
0.18kg amber malt

20g Warrior 11.2 AAU 16% AA (60 to 35mins)
7.9g Simcoe 3.6 AAU 13% AA (35 to 25mins)
20g Palisde 5.6 AAU 8% AA (35 to 0mins)
1tsp Irish moss (15mins)
20g Palisade (Whirlpool, 0mins)

17g Amarillo (dry hops)
17g Simcoe (dry hops)
17g Glacier (dry hops)

Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood Ale) or any other English Yeast.

You have to add the hops in a steady stream instead of all at once.

ennun,

Thanks very much for the recipe, I'll have to giver it a try.

Had a go at this last night with stuff I had available:-

Batch was 20 ltrs.

3.0kg Coopers light malt extract (liquid)
230 grms Light crystal malt. (steeped for 30 mins)
200 grms Dextrose

28 grms Warrior @ 45mins
7 grms Warrior, 7 grms Simcoe, 7 grms Amarillo @ 30, @20 @10 and @5

Dry hop with 7, 7 ,7 at fermentation end.

US - 05 Yeast.

OG = 1044

Grain was steeped for 30 mins @ 65 Deg C in 1 ltr of water. Sparged with an additional 1 ltr of warm water. Added to brew pot and made up to 5 ltrs for the boil. Added approx 800 grms of LME to bring wort to 1040 for hop boil. Added hops as above.

Should have some flavour if nothing else. Time will tell.

Warrior AA 17.2%, Simcoe AA 12.2%, Amarillo AA 8.2%

OG is now 1012 and I don't thin it's going to get any lower, so I have dry hopped with 7, 7, 7, and will leave for an additional few days before kegging and chilling. The small amount of beer used to check the SG tasted very, very nice, if not quite bitter. It may round out to be very palatable.

Just taped this. It is very, very good. Hoppy, touch of bitterness and a rounded malt flavour. All in a very good extract brew. Try it!

I know I'm in the kits and extracts forum page, but speaking of Dogfish Head IPA's, does anyone know of an All Grain recipe? Whether it be 60, 90 or 120 minute?

Dogfish Head also have a show called Brew Masters. Unfortunately it only lasted one season but I bought the DVD and love it. It's probably still available online. I recommend it.

I know I'm in the kits and extracts forum page, but speaking of Dogfish Head IPA's, does anyone know of an All Grain recipe? Whether it be 60, 90 or 120 minute?

Dogfish Head also have a show called Brew Masters. Unfortunately it only lasted one season but I bought the DVD and love it. It's probably still available online. I recommend it.

60 and 90 minute iPa are in the 250 byo clone brew magazine.

Found this it might help:

60 min dogfish IPA.

5.7kg British 2 row pale malt
115g 55L crystal malt
115g Amber malt

14g Warrior 90 mins
7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo @ 30 min
7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo @ 15 min
7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo @ 10 min
7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo @ 5 min
7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo @ 1min

DH 7g Warrior, 7g Simcoe, 7g Amarillo after 7days.

Yeast Wyyeast 1056 or White labs WLP001.

Mash at 67 Deg C for 90 mins, no mash out.

Boil 90 mins.

OG should be in the region of 1.063 - 1065, FG 1.015.

IBU 60

SRM 9

ABV 6.1%

19 ltrs of finished beer.

Hope this helps.

Good stuff Shifter.

I'll give it a try.

Latest posts

Back