Does This Look Normal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Just posting a pic of my mexican (2 weeks fermenting so far, but a little while to go yet) gravity is still 1.027

Theres a little bit of brown stuff on the edge of the krausen there u can see, as well as brown spots on the top too...

should i rack to secondary now, or leave it and DWHAHB??

Photo-0047.jpg

What yeast are you using and what temp are you fermenting at?

Does it smell sour?

That brown stuff looks like yeast to me, Yeasty. RDWHAHB.

Its @ 12deg in the fridge with W34/70 saflager.

First time using a fridge and saflager, so its a case aof "Shi*t that dont look right, better ask the experts" :p

It smells all normal, and tastes fine, so i wasnt too worried just yet :D

Im not home on the weekends, so i dont get to see it for 3/4 days sometimes...nice to see a change (a good one) happening with the slow ferment this ones been on

edit/ Just wondering -could i scoop that bit out and culture it now for a next batch? how would i culture it though?

thats all fine Yeasty,
absolutely normal.

Some homebrewer are skimming that yeast, others not, its a kind of philosophy, but anyway the beer will be fine.

thats all fine Yeasty,
absolutely normal.

Some homebrewer are skimming that yeast, others not, its a kind of philosophy, but anyway the beer will be fine.
So, if it's a lager yeast, and lager yeast is 'bottom fermenting', then what is that doing on top of the beer??

yer i didnt sprinkle any yeast on top of the krausen... all of that stuff there has grown i think

So, if it's a lager yeast, and lager yeast is 'bottom fermenting', then what is that doing on top of the beer??

Still happens - the "bottom fermenters" just mostly stay down, but some can float up from time to time. It's all to do with how the CO2 floats up taking the cells with it. Lager yeasts generally stay down but they can be caught and rise to the top, just not as much as ale yeasts.

as long as the yeast produces CO2, the gas gives the yeast an uplift, especially when the fermenting temp is a little too high for bottom fermenting yeasts.
Anyway, also at bottom fermenting beers you may see that occurance.

Some yeasts - even bottom fermenting - produces that much scum, that you have to use a blowoff tube at the fermenter.

Should be fine mate. A lager yeast will take longer to ferment anyway

We used to call it the "hop drive" when any/all trub would be pushed up to the surface. Looks perfectly OK to me.

Wes

yerp she sure does have a fizz still...

Makes sense now i think about it...

Why photograph your coffee? :p

Latest posts

Back