Doc's Milestone Wheatwine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, I brewed mine nearly 10 months ago and I had plans to drink it over the next 2-3 years... but it really started to hit its strides at 6 months and there is currently just over half the bottles left :( :D Ive already got plans for the next one soon.

Im very happy with how mine turned out so I would recommend just keeping it simple and not to use any spices unless youre going for a biggish beglian.

I plan on cracking the next bottle next week and will post some pics.

Wheat Wine

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 28/10/2007
Style: American Barleywine Brewer: Jye
Batch Size: 16.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 23.00 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 % Equipment: SK
Actual Efficiency: 70.9 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 70.2 %
1.20 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 19.8 %
0.60 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 9.9 %

30.00 gm Simcoe [11.90%] (60 min) Hops 43.1 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (20 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 6.4 IBU

0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm 5.2 (Mash 90.0 min) Misc

2 Pkgs Safale American US-56 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.100 SG (1.080-1.125 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.023 SG (1.020-1.035 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC (19.7-43.3 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 69.0 IBU (50.0-100.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 5.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 10.1 % (8.0-13.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 9.4 %

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 9.26 L of water at 61.7 C 55.0 C 20 min
Saccrification Add 7.08 L of water at 81.0 C 65.0 C 60 min

Re: Yeast. I know that you didn't really want to go Belgian, however you were considering using orange peel and coriander at one stage. Perhaps Belgian might be an option if you used the right strain?

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm thinking that Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale could compliment the rest of the recipe.

This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Re: Yeast. I know that you didn't really want to go Belgian, however you were considering using orange peel and coriander at one stage. Perhaps Belgian might be an option if you used the right strain?

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm thinking that Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale could compliment the rest of the recipe.

Yeah, I've backed away from the Belgian as the next brew after this one will be a Quad.
That would be a great yeast, but may bend the beer more towards a Saison, and I don't really want it going that way.

Got the new element in the second URN tonight. Water tests and calibration of equip tomorrow, then all systems go. If the Hills Brewers weren't out on expedition on Saturday it would have been on.

Doc

Game ON

The Milestone Wheatwine is being brewed tomorrow.
I've got the new brewrig all setup, the grain (close to 20kg) is all measured and crushed.
Decided to do two cubes worth of it ( 1 x 22.5 litres and 1 x 17.5 litres). Might as well put the new kit through its paces properly :p

Here are a few pics.

The rack with the two URNs on top, the 70 litre icebox on the sliding shelf, and the 18gal coverted keg on top of a NASA burner.
NewBrewRig_001.jpg

Showing the shelf sliding out for the sparge.
NewBrewRig_003.jpg

The custom (read bigger) Beerbelly Falsey in the 70 litre icebox.
NewBrewRig_004.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Good stuff Darren, definitely keen to hear how this one goes. Hope it all goes to plan on the day!

Your rig is looking good too mate! I have a 30L urn that's identical to yours - I always thought it was pretty big, but it looks tiny compared to everything else in your setup these days! :lol:

Mashed in about 45mins ago.
Undershot my sacc temp by a few degrees for the first time in a very very long time.
The irony is that the HLT's were slightly over temp and I'd added cold water to bring them back into line.

Anyho, a jug of boiling water and a little more from the HLT and I hit 66 on the nose.

Here is the 19+kg of grist
NewBrewRig_006.jpg

And then again all mashed in.
NewBrewRig_007.jpg

I underlet from one urn and dumped from the other urn down the sides. Zero dough balls. Nice.

Doc

The brew is progressing well.
Batch sparged it, and had a couple of almost stuck sparges, probably due to the amount of wheat and how quickly I was running it off.
Thought I'd missed my gravity but I hadn't added the sugar. Did that and seems on track.
Thought I'd missed my volume into the keg. I had converted from Gal to Litres using US Imperial and got 68 litres. Seems it is normal Imperial so 82 litres. I hope so, as that means I'm right on the money.
Just about to add the 60 minute hops.

Doc

Cripes Doc, that's a serious amount of grain!

Looking good! How was the colour of the run-off???

Wow, 250! The recipe looks really nice, post again when it's finished, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Cripes Doc, that's a serious amount of grain!

Looking good! How was the colour of the run-off???

Here is the colour of the runoff.

NewBrewRig_013.jpg

and some leftovers from the bottom of the kettle.

NewBrewRig_014.jpg

Brewday went pretty well. Just a little low on the FG.
Smells awesome. Very very viscous :p

Doc

Here is the colour of the runoff.

and some leftovers from the bottom of the kettle.

Brewday went pretty well. Just a little low on the FG.
Smells awesome. Very very viscous :p

Doc

Fermented it already Doc?! :eek: :lol:

Colour looks awesome.

Fermented it already Doc?! :eek: :lol:

Colour looks awesome.

First cube will hit some yeast tomorrow :D
Second cube will be when my wife has emptied some more champagne bottles.

Doc

yeah doc how did she turn out. I was thinking about brewing something for my 30th next year and wanted something other than a barley wine. this could be it.

edit: Jye. what was your strike temp?

It went great. The beer has come out fantastic. A really awesome colour, with great carbonation in the champagne bottles.
This is one very flavoursome enjoyable beer.
I shared the first bottle with Matt from St. Peters brewery after doing a brewday there with him in Nov last year. Rukh, Matt and myself were all amazed how well it was drinking sooo young.
Then I had another over Xmas with some family, and another recently for a family occasion.
I've also gifted a couple to some local brewers who got a visit from the "Stalk".

The only off comment I have had has been 2 local Sydney commercial/micro brewers who just thought it was a bit much, and a little too hoppy. I advised them that it had mellowed, but that was sorta the point :p

Beers,
Doc

great to hear doc. what was your strike temp?

Great idea Doc. My 10 year brewing anniversary is coming up in July. I was thinking of doing something like this.

I did a single infusion @ 66degC.

Beers,
Doc
after looking at your recipe again i see you did do a 66C single infusion. i mustnt have looked properly and saw the mashout temp etc and assumed it was a step mash. thanks

Rukh, Matt and myself were all amazed how well it was drinking sooo young.

The only off comment I have had has been 2 local Sydney commercial/micro brewers who just thought it was a bit much, and a little too hoppy. I advised them that it had mellowed, but that was sorta the point :p

Its nearly 1 yr Doc, how is it coming along?

We had a barley wine night a couple of weeks ago where we crack both of my wheat wines and a Mikkeller Hvedegoop. I was really surprised at how similar they are, Hvedegoop was much more bitter but over all the malt profile was the same. And I know what you mean about drinking young, everyone preferred my 7 month old over the 2 yr version.

Batch 100 is coming up for me so I can see another one being brewed :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back